Siphoned no rinse cleaner into brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgriffiths88

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a first time brewer and I think I may have made a grave mistake. While siphoning my Northface Brown Ale from fermentor to bottling bucket I forgot to drain the no rinse cleaner (in the racking cane and tubing) into a separate container before moving it back into the bottling bucket when starting the siphon. So I ended up with a fair amount of no rinse cleaner in my beer. Will this pose a problem to my beer? My fear is that it will kill off the yeast in the bottles and the priming surgar will not ferment, hence 46 bottles of flat beer. Thank you so much for your time!

I just did a little experiment:
5 feet of regular siphon tubing holds less than a half cup of liquid. If I add what the racking cane holds, that's just over a half cup. If you siphoned 5 gallons of beer onto that, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

nothing to worry about. billions of yeast vs a little bit of sanitizer, think about that.

If it was properly diluted Star-san, no worries. Ive racked onto an inch of the stuff in my carboy with no ill effect.

Back