Siphoned Good Bit of Yeast into Bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
I was siphoning my American Brown into the bottling Bucket, and didn't realize it, But I sucked a bunch of yeast into the bottling bucket. I looked a little bit on here and couldn't see if this was a bad thing or not. I continued to prime as normal, and bottle everything. Will this bit of yeast that was sucked back into suspension have an issue with the sugar and star san I just added to the environment? Meaning bottle bombs or anything? I know my FG was right where it should have been for 4 days or so...1.018(a little high for my brown)

This will be fine! I get a decent amount of yeast in my bottling bucket every time. It settles out in the bottles and I have clear beer. It doesn't mess anything up. If anything, it will speed up the carb - but the amount of sugar determines the carbonation, not the amount of yeast.

like Picobrew said you'll be fine.

although I do have question - you said "my FG was right where it should have been for 4 days or so...1.018" - I'm hoping you mean your gravity was at 1.018 for 4 days - NOT that it was 1.018 AFTER four days of fermenting (meaning it may not be done yet).

If I read it correctly and you were at 1.018 for four days, you will be good - don't worry about the extra yeast sucked up - it may make for a little extra trub in the bottle, but nothing to be worried about.

Thanks for the fast reassurance! Yes, I meant it was at 1.018 for 4 days straight. more like 6 or 7 by the time i got around to bottling. I understand the sugar concept, but wasn't sure if it was "X" ounces of sugar carbs up nice when the yeast is sleepy and sitting in the bottom of the bucket. I wasn't sure if adding this much more, into the diluted sugar i just boiled would somehow wake it up and go nuts... RDWHAHB right?!?

Back