Siphon with syringe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikk

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot about using a syringe to start a siphon. I got a 60ml syringe but all it does is bring a few drops of liquid into the tubing. Not enough to start a siphon. Does anyone have a video of how they do it?
Please don’t suggest an auto siphon. I’m getting a single use out of them as they develop cracks. A stainless auto siphon is $140. I pressure transfer under normal circumstances but I’m trying a few 1 gallon batches and I have 1 gallon glass jugs. I did see the Jiggler syphon but in a 1 gallon glass container I don’t want to be moving that around.
Back in the day I used my mouth, but would rather not do that.

A 60ml syringe to suck-start a siphon seems like bringing a derringer to a cannon fight :)
I think you need something around an order of magnitude higher capacity, like one of these:

1618349973846.png

Otherwise...a different technique entirely is to fill your tubing with sterile water, keep the distal end sealed while lowering the proximal end down into the fermenter - which is sitting at an elevated position relative to the receiving vessel - then lower the distal end into some small vessel held below the fermenter, unseal the distal end, and let gravity do its thing. As soon as the siphon is established drop the distal end in the receiving vessel and let the siphon rip...

Cheers!

Definitely don't do prolonged soaks of a plastic auto-siphon in "oxygen cleaners" as those will eventually cause crazing which inevitably leads to fatal cracks...

Cheers!

I do a swish and gargle with 100 proof bourbon then just suck on the hose. Never a problem. Been doing this for many years.

You need a catheter tip, it is a tapered tip, sanitize it, jam it into the syphon line and pull. With the taper it seals tightly. I have been using one of these for 3 years. Avoid getting stuff inside, and you don't have to clean, just rinse. If you clean too much it takes off the built in lubricants and the rubber tip sticks.

Amazon.com: 60ml Catheter Tip Syringe with Covers- 10 Syringes by Care Touch: Industrial & Scientific

Definitely don't do prolonged soaks of a plastic auto-siphon in "oxygen cleaners" as those will eventually cause crazing which inevitably leads to fatal cracks...

Cheers!

And that is why I have stainless racking canes.

I just posted this on another thread, and maybe it's a viable option here. I think it's called the "sterile siphon," or somesuch. You could cobble one together with a 2-hole bung or cap, racking cane, sterile filter and some tubing.

I have one like it, for the few times I need to rack from a carboy.

3010.jpg

If the vessels are at the proper relative elevation, you can also fill the siphon tube completely, then put your thumb over one end and move it to the bottom of the receiving vessel before releasing your thumb.

Back