Single Tier temp control on Boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to make the boil kettle temp controlled, just like the HLT and MLT? Pros vs. Cons

Nickeldeposit said:
Is there any reason not to make the boil kettle temp controlled, just like the HLT and MLT? Pros vs. Cons

Yes - if you ever want to do a hop stand.

A hop stand is just adding hops to the kettle at flame out and letting them rest for a period, how does that apply to having the kettle temp controlled?

I can't think of any reason for temperature control on the Boil Kettle. What you will want is to have a rolling boil in the Kettle to facilitate Hops isomerization, volume reduction, and sterilization of wort. But boiling is boiling, and all a temperature control would do is make it either Boiling or Not Boiling (212 Deg F or Not 212 Deg F).

I don't see a need for temperature control on the Boil Kettle.

Mark

Carlscan26: Just finished looking through that article and it does make a good argument for automating the boil kettle. I think I’m going to just so I can have the flexibility to do different things, plus the three controllers are already purchased. And if anyone is going to go the electric route my god look at Kal’s setup in the above thread.

Nickeldeposit said:
Carlscan26: Just finished looking through that article and it does make a good argument for automating the boil kettle. I think I’m going to just so I can have the flexibility to do different things, plus the three controllers are already purchased. And if anyone is going to go the electric route my god look at Kal’s setup in the above thread.

:cheers:

Back