Single Tier one Pump System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Hello Brewers,

I'm getting pretty comfortable in my brew process and I'm wanting to build a system to help standardize my setup. Right now its a mixture of tables, stands and heavy lifting - it's fun, but not that fun. I'm trying to build a single tier / one pump system and looking for any advice to make sure my plumbing/flows look right before I start the build.

Here are some photos of the setup and process. Looking for any advice on things I may be overlooking or problem areas with this set up. Spec's below.
======================
Goal: Single tier brew system driven by one pump.

Equipment includes:
Dual burners, *camlocks, pump and plate chiller. *Camlocks make switching fittings not a concern for this setup.

Process: All grain, batch sparge only. Chill wort by recirc in BK (due to high ground water temps) then transfer into fermentation vessel. I typically use my plate chillers water discharge to clean up. (It’s the reason for pushing into the HLT at the end of process)

**Note: The HLT has been moved to the center position**

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Seems pretty straight forward, but any advice from those more experienced with a system like this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

UPDATE
Here is the stand I made. It was a King Kooker 94/90TKD I converted.
kingkooker.JPG

I brew this exact way, I keep my hlt in the center but thats the only difference. I also split the batch sparge in to two sparge steps each with half the water, tend to get more efficiency that way.but yea works for me I like it.

Planning on building something very similar to this. I might put the mash tun in the middle though.

For clear wort going into the pump, install a tee and extra valve coming out of your mash tun. Run some wort into a pitcher until it's clear.

Just recirculate the mash runnings on a slow flow until clear then start your sparge.
I use two pumps and direct fire my MLT (in the middle) but the process is pretty much what you want to do.
I don't recall is you said you would use hoses or hard plumb it. One thing I don't like about the app is I can't read back while I type a post... Or at least I don't know how to do that if it's possible... If your changing hoses, that's a lot of hose changes, I can see this hard plumbed and automatic, otherwise lots of valve changes to keep straight.
All looks doable though.

I have a set up very similar and works great. I have a herms system. The only difference between the 2 is mine has a piece of copper tubing in the HLT to recirc wort through from the mash. This helps to greatly control mash temps. Also the wort is clear when ready to transfer to the BK. You could always add that on later as well.
I use the cam locks as well. Not to big of a deal I do have to switch hoses but don't really bother me. For my set up I need 3 hoses. I would guess if your not going to have the herms setup you would only need two.
Have to remember when you go to use your pump for cooling the wort you will have to clean it before using it. I run boiling water through it from my HLT before running my wort through it for chilling. Also this will clean your hoses at the same time.
Also with the plate chiller you may want to have some type of filter in your BK to filter out as much junk as you can. I use a false bottom and a BIAB bag that I throw my hops into.
Overall I think it will work great for you good luck!

All thanks for the feedback so far. Great tip (fj605) about installing a tee and extra valve coming out of my mash tun to pump clear wort. I also may re-look at putting my HLT in the middle as recommended. My intent with this version was to remove my MT as my boil is going so I didn't have to deal with the heat melting the plastic. Just need to see how things would need to be rerouted and if it would make sense.

Its nice to know (dobes) that I can build on this to a HERMS down the road! While not in my immediate future I do see controllers and possibly an extra pump down the road. Thanks again brewers! Keep them coming!

This thread sounds exactly like my own dilemma... but I can't see your pics! I am gonna have to stalk this thread for a while...

This thread sounds exactly like my own dilemma... but I can't see your pics! I am gonna have to stalk this thread for a while...

That's odd about the photos. I can send them to you if you want (I just fixed the URL's). My setup has evolved a little more from this to a HERMS type. I need to update.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's odd about the photos. I can send them to you if you want (I just fixed the URL's). My setup has evolved a little more from this to a HERMS type. I need to update.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pic update worked great!

Ok, so here's my design ideas based of your almost EXACT system as you have drawn it.

Move MLT to the center position. Drop the BK down to a low enough level to gravity feed into the MLT. Lower level would actually fold down. (I think there was another SS stand build in here somewhere with this concept).

HLT -> pump -> MLT Heat more mash water for batch sparge. Gravity feed from MLT -> BK and then refill MLT with sparge. Finish boil in BK and maybe heatr last dregs of water in HLT to purge through the plate chiller.

Make sense?

From this point, I could conceivably swap out the cooler MLT with another keggle and even update later with a second pump and HERMS system if I so desired.

Yep, I moved the HLT to the center position as well. I'm brewing like this till I finish building up the HLT with a HERMS coil.

Your stand is looking great! I have the same setup, single tier, one pump, two burner, three vessel and works out great. Same order too, HLT - BK - MLT, keeps the plastic MLT as far away from burners as possible.

Only thing I do different in the process you listed is two-three batch sparges depending on 5.5 or 11 gallon batch, as well as last 15 minutes of mash I recirculate with valve on out side of pump open like 1/4 of the way out of and back into MT (you might notice a camlock on the MT lid) to clear wort, also each batch sparge I stir very well and then recirc for 10 minutes before transferring to BK.

Dark picture but oh well, need to take more.

brewstand.jpg

Thanks for the comment!

I've done a little adjusting since the original post. I've arranged to BK->HLT->MT order, but thats easy to change because of the stand alone burner (not sure if you can tell). The detached burner on the left side is for when I do extract, BIAB or go to Brew Club meetings and brew and don't need my whole rig. Basically my mobile set up.

I'm planning on doing a vorlauf (like you) to clear up the wort once I get the hardware needed for my mash tun.

In the end I'm working towards a HERMS build, but this will definitely make some good batches for now!

I know this is an old thread, but looking to get the same stand for 3 keggles, what did you use to reinforce the stand? Anything else you would have done differently in the beginning?

Also did you have to cut the top section off? Or was it just bolted on?

Back