Single Tier Build + Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
After a long time of reading the DIY forum and getting sick of extract brewing, I've decided to build a single tier - Simplified Brutus 10. I have found this thread to be really helpful. Thanks SouthernYankee.

I bought the 1.5" 16gauge square tubing from a steel supplier in Houston. They cut it to length but the cuts were not exactly straight nor accurate. That led to some difficulty welding it, especially since it is my first time welding. I purchased the same northern tool flux core welder that SouthernYankee bought, $150 and seems to do the job fine.

Some pics of the progress so far:

Cut the tops of 2 kegs with angle grinder

Building the frame:

Frame just about all welded:

Stand as of now (8/26)

Right on, Twang.

Keep 'em coming!

uh, what were the questions?

I had some questions about my valves and fittings but thought I got it all figured out, so I ordered everything and took the questions out of my post. Then I saw video by Bobby_M.

So I now I have to replace some connections to keep the flow as unrestricted as possible.

I'm working on the propane plumbing right now, picked up most everything from Lowes. Will take some pics when some more progress is made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job so far!

Thanks!

Pump came into today. I got it off ebay and the description said it was New.

But I'm wondering if it is refurbished... there is a "investigated component" sticker on it.

The fittings/valves from bargainfittings came today but I missed the postman so I will pick them up tomorrow.

Some goods arrived from bargainfittings.
Time to make some keggles.

I'm going to exchange the C-style camlocks with the B-style.

Hot liquor tank is about ready:

And the pump setup:

Nice cam-locks! I'm seriously considering them for my build. I have to buy my pumps next. Getting ready to mount the burners and plumbing for the gas lines. How do you like them so far? Do you think the "C" style is better?

Nice cam-locks! I'm seriously considering them for my build. I have to buy my pumps next. Getting ready to mount the burners and plumbing for the gas lines. How do you like them so far? Do you think the "C" style is better?

I haven't used them yet, but the quality appears to be great. I am switching from the pictured C-style to the B-style. The hose barb on the Cs has a pretty small internal diameter. I actually ordered the Bs today along with some street elbows. I'm going to grind down the male threads on the elbow and attach the hose there with a clamp.

I haven't used them yet, but the quality appears to be great. I am switching from the pictured C-style to the B-style. The hose barb on the Cs has a pretty small internal diameter. I actually ordered the Bs today along with some street elbows. I'm going to grind down the male threads on the elbow and attach the hose there with a clamp.

This will definitely improve the flow. I have to make a decision, if I do the same thing, I will not be able to construct a "T" fitting for a temp prope to mount to the kettle with the disconnect, like Lonnie and most others use. Unless I am missing the obvious and just not picturing it correctly............

Got the wheels on and mocked up the propane plumbing.

Threaded square tubing inserts from mcmasters and 4" threaded lock casters from ebay.

Hope to have it all ready by the end of the weekend. I need to mount the pump, paint, and make the mash tun.

Paint didn't turn out as I hoped. I'll be repainting it another color.

Back