Single Tier Build Propane Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Reaction score
In the process of building my single-tier brewstand, but am stuck trying to decide if I should use a dual stage low pressure regulator coming off the propane tank, or place two dual stage regulators (one each for HLT and MT) with low pressure regulator coming of the tank. Most regulators I have found have 1/4 input and 3/8 output but I see most people use 1/2 black pipe seems like using a bunch of adapters to connect.

Using the following for system
2 - VR8200A2132 1/2", 24 Vac Standing Pilot Gas Valve
2 - Honeywell Q314A4586 Pilot Burner
2 - BG 14 Burners

This is the part of the build that is driving me crazy. Ready to finish the build everything else seems to be falling in place thanks for and help

I use a Fisher R232 I got it off Ebay for ~$50, works great. I also run BG-14's (3 of them) all low pressure. 1/2" black pipe manifold going to all three with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer to get to the regulator. Simple
smugshot_2991336-XL.jpg

smugshot_5312899-XL.jpg

If it's already low pressure why add more redundancy? I see no benefit whether you are going manual or automation with furnace valves.

It all depends on what your burner can handle on start up or if it has a internal pressure to ignite or not, my suggestion is a 0 to 30 psi adjustable regulator, ignite on low pressure then once your lit adjust slowly till your desired flame is reached, if it sounds like a flame thrower remove you oxygen intake plateImageUploadedByHome Brew1400206730.091459.jpgor if you can adjust it find the right sound, don't want heavy whooooooooo sound, gas is dangerous be safe and do a test boil before brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Check out amazon.com "Hobart acetylene regulator".

I found that my rig, even the "low pressure" burners like more than 11" WC for doing 10 gallon batches. The regulator will work with propane, and you can adjust the pressure manual. Once you get a two stage or fixed WC regulator, you have no option to control anything. I actually have a buried tank that runs 10 psi to a QD and I hook up to this. I use that for everything, except, once I get up to a boil, I switch to the tank with the adjustable regulator. I find that between 3-4 psi is optimal for intense boil on my system. These welding regulators accept a 1/4" fitting, not sure if its straight pipe thread or not. You can get a SS braided hose with the appropriate 1/4" fitting and get an adapter to connect to your manifold. I have a two stage RECO regulator good for I think up to 500k btu sitting on a shelf that I used briefly. I'm thinking about modifying my rig again to let me run the regulator with the buried tank, bypassing the fixed regulator, and just fueling the boil kettle. Lots of time and energy that I'd rather spend brewing though, so for now, I, sticking with what I've got.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400207527.557663.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400207538.099016.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the input guys, my wife had the best advice, "Quit overthinking it and just build it", I guess that's just the teacher in me.

Back