Single tier brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmastertim

Reaction score
I'm going to build a single tier brew stand. Any suggestions on how to engineer/ build one?

I'd start by looking through this thread for ideas. I'll be building a single tier in the fall, and have gone through this thread several times to get different ideas. I've also looked through several of the build threads in the diy section. Good luck, and post your build when you get started.

Yes... one suggestions.... search and read the threads here on all the different types of builds. Have you thought about whether your want electric, propane or natural gas? Automated with a controller or just some PID's (or no automation)? What material? Welded, strut, wood, etc?

You're asking too much of an open question. Look at existing builds that are documented here and then start down the path of something that is similar to what you have in mind.

Definitely doing a steel welded frame and gas. Probably propane set up. Haven't put much thought in to an automated system. What are the pros
and cons / cost efficiency of either system? And what actually works good? Every site I've read has a different single tier stand. Any advice helps.

What size batches are you doing now? Make sure whatever you build is capable to expand to bigger batches. On my stand I made sure the base where my kettles sits could hold my smallest kettle (original HLT was smaller than brew kettle) but was wide enough to accommodate bigger kettles in the future. I didn't however quite anticipate the height of a bigger kettle and when I got my 20 Gal boilermaker I found it would be nice if my stand was a little shorter due to the overall height.

My HLT is on a controller and pumps are manual. Having a HERMS on a controller rocks, I can step mash, mash out, etc and have perfectly controlled mash temps and let it manage itself while I clean, sanitize...ok really just drink beer and relax.

Plan for room for a heat exchanger or counterflow in relation to kettles, pumps etc. Also I would recommend swivel wheels that locks, they make it easy to move things around for cleaning or just better positioning. Lastly you will likely find that you need to tweak the height, placement of your burners so keep that in mind when mounting whatever will hold your burners.

I'd start with a simple PID system. It will be cost effective and easy to build. Try the Brutus builds

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back