Single tap tower, best way to add a picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
Hello,

Just putting together plans to run a second keg off my 5lb C02 tank. I can squeeze a second keg in the fridge... I usually used this space for lagering/aging, but this is my question: What is the best way to add a picnic tap to run both kegs simultaneously? I know I can use a "T" connector to run both kegs off my single regulator, but does this means two kegs have to be on the line at all times? I have a single tap tower on my fridge, so the second tap would have to be a simple QD -> picnic tap. I would like to have the option to shut off the second keg, just can not think of how this would be possible with a simple T connector. I feel like it would require some sort of a shutoff valve.

Also, what are your thoughts on running all beers off the same C02 setting? I wouldn't really mind serving/carbing all beers at the same level, but I do brew in several styles... Not really a concern to me, but if there is a cheap/easy way to regulate each keg individually, that would be an option.

Is there any difference in the time it takes to force carb two kegs at the same time? I don't see why it would, but I am just making sure. I usually give it a week and a half or so at around 10-12PSI.

Thanks for the advice.

I use a stainless Cross to split my CO2 line 3 ways and dispense all my beers at 12 psi. It's worked well for me for years. I really would not have room for extra regulators and such. The stainless T will work great for you.

Kegerator2.jpg

Brilliant. I recognize that tap from the Apfelwein video on YouTube!

That kegerator is basically the same dimensions as mine, but I have just the single tap tower. Limited room for two kegs, and basically no room for a larger regulator. What happens when a keg runs out? Is it as simple as disconnecting the gas QD from the empty keg, or are there other measures which need to be taken?

When a keg runs out, it just blows CO2 from the perlick faucet. I disconnect the gas and the beer lines, pull the keg and either replace it after running some BLC through the beer line, or leave the lines hanging till I pull another chilled keg from the keezer in the garage.

Since the 5# cylinder is only pushing beer out, it lasts a long time. I do my carbing in the garage keezer with a 20# cylinder.

So if I understand correctly, if one of the two kegs were to run out of beer, I could shut off the gas, hook up a new keg, turn the gas back on... As simple as that? I would be force carbing with the same tank as I am serving with, (set and forget) so if a new flat keg is put on the line with a fully carb'd keg, would it just be a matter of waiting as per the usual protocol for a week or two on 12 PSI to carb the flat keg? Will I end up with beer or gas flowing between kegs this way if I have one flat full keg and one half full carb'd keg? Can I continue to run the half empty keg without having a second keg on the line, or do I need some sort of a check valve for that? :drunk:

So if I understand correctly, if one of the two kegs were to run out of beer, I could shut off the gas, hook up a new keg, turn the gas back on... As simple as that? I would be force carbing with the same tank as I am serving with, (set and forget) so if a new flat keg is put on the line with a fully carb'd keg, would it just be a matter of waiting as per the usual protocol for a week or two on 12 PSI to carb the flat keg? Will I end up with beer or gas flowing between kegs this way if I have one flat full keg and one half full carb'd keg? Can I continue to run the half empty keg without having a second keg on the line, or do I need some sort of a check valve for that? :drunk:

I never bother to shut of the gas to change a keg. The gray ball lock seals fine when I pull it off the post. If you force carb with the same tank, just wait a week before you pull a beer. The other keg is at equilibrium so you don't need to worry about pressure. It will only take pressure when needed like when you pull a pint.

Everything will see equilibrium, so DWHAHB. You will go through tanks faster if carb AND dispense with them.

Back