Single stage or two stage fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdrool

Reaction score
For an OG below 1.050 who goes with single stage to avoid the chance of oxidation from secondary and who goes with secondary to avoid off flavors from spent yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I keg all my hoppy beers after FG has been reached...i only use a primary, usually cold crash in carboy after 12-14 days of fermentation and transfer to keg...Some say leave it on the cake for a month so the yeast can clean up. I have done that pleanty of times and I start tasting yeast...there's no right/wrong way. Find what works best for you..

I go with a single stage for laziness and impatience. So far with my small beers I bottle after 10 or so days and let condition in the bottle. They have all been carbed and good within two weeks, although they seem to need about 4 weeks before they taste complete.

IIm sure somebody will disagree but I don't see why you would need to leave A beer that small in the fermenter long enough to get bad yeast flavors.

I virtually always transfer to a secondary. I know it doesn't really do much with my lower gravity beers but I feel like I'm accounting for my lack of temp control. I have bottled with no secondary with lower OG beers but that is the exception not the rule for me.

Racking to secondary is something fewer people do, afaik. Some years ago you'd be told to do it. Now, people just let it sit in the primary for two weeks then bottle.

Back