Single Stage fermentation - clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winesburg Ale

Reaction score
I brewed a 3-gallon batch of pilsner about a week ago, and poured it into a 5-gallon carboy for primary fermentation. I'd really like to bottle it from the carboy, without racking it to a secondary vessel. However, there is a very thin layer of krauzen and hop bits floating around on the top of the beer that refuses to yield to gravity and sink. I did add whirflock to the wort, and I strained most of the hops out before I added the wort to the carboy. Does anyone know a good technique to get beer to clear while it's in the fermentor, or to easily filter the beer during bottling?

The easiest way to clear up your beer while it's in primary is to do nothing. Just give it some time, and watch the yeast clean up after themselves. Many of us don't use secondary vessels, and just leave the beer in primary for a month or so to get the same effect.

Back