Single stage fermentation/bottle conditioning issue..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey

Reaction score
I brewed a Chocolate porter in early November, and was planning on trying out single stage fermentation, as apposed to using a secondary.

However, with the holidays, work, etc, I was unable to bottle at 4 weeks, it has now set for 6 1/2 weeks on the yeast bed.

I know there is a danger of off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long, but my biggest concern is will there be enough viable yeast suspended to bottle carb the beer?

I'm going to take a sample, add a bit of sugar and see if I get a krausen, or any activity for that matter.

In the event there is not enough yeast, how much should I add?

Thanks and happy holidays!

The Short answer: Yes there will be enough viable yeast to bottle carb the beer, and really I wouldn't worry about any off flavors I have left beer as long as 2 1/2 months on primary yeast and the beer has turned out fine.

Six and a half weeks is nothing in the life of home brew. You are fine both with having enough yeast and flavor. I think you will find that you like what has happened to your beer and wonder why you didn't leave them longer in the primary before.

Off-flavors from sitting on the yeast are extremely rare. I've never run across it myself and I've left ales on the yeast for 3-4 months. I have a barleywine that was kegged in 2003 that has some yeast in the bottom & no problem.

Latest posts

Back