Single or Multistep infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosetav

Reaction score
Doing my first AG on Saturday and am working on the recipe. Doing an IPA and have come up with a gran bill of:

13 # Marris Otter
.75# Crystal 60
.75# Carapils

I was planning on a single infusion @ 155. Does anyone see why this wouldn't work? Do you think I need to do a multistep? Plan on using S-04 yeasties.

I wouldn't mess around with a step mash if it's your first AG. Then again, I've never done a step mash, so...

IMO, 155 might be a little warm for an IPA. I like 152. But you don't have a ton of unfermentable sugar in your grain bill anyway. 155 will work, 152 will be a touch drier. I guess it depends on what you're shooting for.

Right on. I was hoping to get a little more mouthfeel out of this guy. I just didn't want to be drinking hop syrup.....although that might be good for pancakes.......

Well, 155 isn't THAT high, I've done IPAs mashed at 154-155, and they turned out good. Just a bit too sweet. I like IPA's a little drier. Also, those (like 2 batches I did this way) had a full pound of C60 or C40. Could have added a little too much unfermentle stuff.

With that recipe, you will probably like the resulting beer better if you use a single infusion mash. Modern malts don't really benefit from a multi-step mash much, and in fact, it can actually diminish mouthfeel and head retention. Plus, English-style ales and their derivatives are traditionally brewed by single infusion.

Back