Single mash infusion at 154F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

At the end of this interesting article (thanks ohiobrutus) is a recipe for an AG interesting looking brew.

It calls for ": Single infusion mash at 154F (68C) using a ratio of 1.3 quarts water to 1 pound of grain."

I am new to AG. Does this assume an hour at 154? I assume that I am the one missing something here, but it seems a little incomplete.

Yes. most are 60 min. mash usually unless otherwise stated. Really though, it is until conversion, but I won't get into that right now. Any time you see Single infusion mash it is a one temp mash.

With modern grains, most of the time 20 minutes would do it, but an hour is certain. You can cut it shorter by testing with iodine, but I rarely bother.

david_42 said:
With modern grains, most of the time 20 minutes would do it, but an hour is certain. You can cut it shorter by testing with iodine, but I rarely bother.

So do you only mash for 20 minutes these days?

i probably do a little overkill, but go for about 90 minutes for mashing. if anything, i get more time to drink homebrew while making more. the last 10 minutes or so i'll crank up the temp to mashout (about 175) and then transfer to a cooler for lautering.

A 45 minute mash has worked just fine for me but I typically go an hour. If anything because I am not usually sitting around watching my grains mash but I am doing other things. david 42 is right in that complete starch conversion can be achieved in 20 minutes.

I find that if I mash for 90 minutes (especially BIG beer) I get a much better extraction than if only for 60. It is all perception (from what I read). I also find that if I Mash Out I get a better extraction and absolutely no stuck sparges.

I batch sparge once. Some do it twice (whichever method works best for you).

My target gravity for my last brew was 21 Brix. I got 24 Brix and was superb. That translates into about a 1.099 OG - Wowsy. Luckily this was blended with 7 other brews (same recipe) and is aging in an Oak Barrel. Blended, this brew came to 21 Brix - Right on the money (OG 1.086).

The best advice for newbies is to learn their equipment. I know it sounds like a cliche but it is the best advice you can get - of course besides all the fundamentals of brewing.

some mash tuns require insulation, some require heat source, while others are stand alones. I find that my 10 gallon Rubbermade (Gott style) cooler is an great ML tun for me. I lose ~.5 - 1* F/hour when used. I usually strike at 154*F and finish at 152*F.

Good luck and RDWHAHB!

- WW

EdWort said:
So do you only mash for 20 minutes these days?

Proviso: I do not mash this way, nor am I advocating this, the info below is for information purposes only, use it for good or evil.

This is an excerpt from an interview(brew-monkey) with Vinny of Russian River:

"Do you perform the legendary "20 minute" mashes? If not, how long do you mash?"

Vinny: " I didn't know it was legendary, but, yes I do only mash for 20 minutes. I've gone as short as 15 minutes, but, I've got 20 minutes of work to do between the last malt going into the mash tun and the next step in the brew process so 20 minutes works great. We couldn't see a difference in flavor with beers done with a longer mash. "

Wow! Great info. Thanks all. The first AG recipe I did called for 30 minutes at 154 and then 10 minutes or so at 168. It was pretty specific, that is why this recipe seemed vague.

What is the purpose of the higher temp rest from the first recipe and avidhomebrewer's technique? Is it just for good measure?

It is called Mash Out if you are bringing the grains up to near 170. It is to stop enzymatic action. Keeps your beer from being drier and higher alch. than you were shooting for.

Back