Single malt/hop recipe (ale) with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathiás

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was thinking to make a cheap but delicious ale with single malt and hop.(BIAB) I want O.G around 1.05 -1.055 btw and IBU around 20-25. Im tired of spicy beers ive brewed a lot of IPA and APA this autumn.

There is a rlly basic idea in my head to brew with only pilsner malt spiced with Saaz also with a little bit of dry hop(Saaz).

My other idea is to make a german based ale with Munich and Pilsner malt and at boiling i want to use german hop such as Hallertau or Tettnanger maybe Spalt.

I posted this thread with hope. Maybe someone have experiences with similar recipes.

What are you thinking guys? Btw any recipe idea which based on personal experience are welcome!:)

I'll use Safale k-97 im kinda satisfied with it!

Last edited:
I think both will be nice beers. The first option is basically a Pilsner and the second a helles except with an ale yeast. It’s amazing how tasty a simple grain bill and some noble German hops can be.
ive never used k97 yet, but use the liquid option (wyeast 1007) very often in exactly these kinds of beers. I tend to mash on the low side to drive the fg down more than shooting for a higher og, but that’s personal preference.

Thanks for the reply mate. Ive never used liquid yeast that is why im afraid a bit but I know thats a silly thing :). Basically im rotating safale us 05/04 and k97 depending on the style i brew. My apartment temperature is fixed at 21 C and these yeasts got around +2 at the main fermentation:) so i can be below the max Celsius what is still ok to the wort. My best beers were around 20 C during fermentation but atm thats impossible for me however if everything was ok during the process ive still managed to brew quite good beers. Maybe i should try that liquid yeast.

Try kveik, lutra will probably replace your k97 and Voss will work as us05 with a bit more character.

Both are completely satisfied with whatever temperature you throw them in from 37c downwards (try 37 with Voss and wrap your fermenter into a blanket to keep it warm) and for both pitch rate is uncritical. At room temperature, lutra is supposed to be very clean.

Try kveik, lutra will probably replace your k97 and Voss will work as us05 with a bit more character.

Both are completely satisfied with whatever temperature you throw them in from 37c downwards (try 37 with Voss and wrap your fermenter into a blanket to keep it warm) and for both pitch rate is uncritical. At room temperature, lutra is supposed to be very clean.

What are the minimum Celsius for these yeasts during fermentation? I didn't find it only what u just said about the maximum temperature.

What are the minimum Celsius for these yeasts during fermentation? I didn't find it only what u just said about the maximum temperature.
I would say probably normal ale temperatures. Omega lists lutra with 20c to 30c. Voss works at room temperature (18c-20c) as well, I tried it.

What always works is to chill the wort until the upper part of the recommended temperature range is reached and then pitch it. This won't be as clean as it can, but it certainly will give you a healthy and fast fermentation. Wrap the fermenter into a blanket to keep it warm. Two days and it's finished.

Thanks for the reply mate. Ive never used liquid yeast that is why im afraid a bit but I know thats a silly thing :). Basically im rotating safale us 05/04 and k97 depending on the style i brew. My apartment temperature is fixed at 21 C and these yeasts got around +2 at the main fermentation:) so i can be below the max Celsius what is still ok to the wort. My best beers were around 20 C during fermentation but atm thats impossible for me however if everything was ok during the process ive still managed to brew quite good beers. Maybe i should try that liquid yeast.
I’ve actually been going back to dry yeasts after using liquid for about a year. Just more convenient for me and I’m hoping to basically keep Nottingham, k97, and a lager strain for most beers. I have a packet of k97 to compare against the wyeast1007. I’m hoping it’s the same, or at least similar enough to switch completely. Will know in a month or so when I brew an alt.

I think if you’ve had success at your temps with k97, you’ll have a couple solid beers on your hands. Maybe not as exciting to some people, but I’m pretty sure I’d stop over and have a couple!

I would say probably normal ale temperatures. Omega lists lutra with 20c to 30c. Voss works at room temperature (18c-20c) as well, I tried it.

What always works is to chill the wort until the upper part of the recommended temperature range is reached and then pitch it. This won't be as clean as it can, but it certainly will give you a healthy and fast fermentation. Wrap the fermenter into a blanket to keep it warm. Two days and it's finished.
I’m debating looking into lutra. It sounds almost too perfect for summer lagers(for us folks who brew by mother nature’s thermometer). Maybe next spring/summer.

Can i use it if I brew for example

Thanks mate, im more clever with this new information. Ill try this liquid yeast ;)

Belgian Golden Ale is very simple (Pilsner/Pale Ale and table sugar, only bittering hop as Magnum) and delicious beer. I use M29 dry yeast that works vell on 20'C up to 33'C.

I'm far away from brewing my first beer as I'm still waiting for some pieces of equipment (BIAB-100 litres kettle-100 litres fermenter( 26 gal.) and 72 litres basket (19 gal) with Ø 50 x 55 cm high bag - 120 mesh. Both the boiler and the fermenter are in use for another hobby-hence the size. The reason why I'm asking is the Kveik Voss you mention, which is available down here. I live in a tropical area and cannot afford air conditioning because utilities are water from a deep well with a solar pump and power from solar cells. Kveik Voss can handle high temperatures right?
Belgian Golden Ale is very simple (Pilsner/Pale Ale and table sugar, only bittering hop as Magnum)
I can find Lager Malt ( Pilsner malt) Thomas Fawcett , Saaz hops + Styrian Goldings hops, Kveik Voss and intend to use lees from Orval (Brett) for the second fermentation. Is there any true and tried recipe going in that direction?
I have in mind an adapted version of Alison (Trippel Westmalle) from Gordon Strong's book (p267).

I did a Maris Otter and Mosaic SMaSH and it turned out great. I used a simple US-05 yeast.

Super simple from start to finish, and ended up with a beer I got lots of compliments on.

I'm far away from brewing my first beer as I'm still waiting for some pieces of equipment (BIAB-100 litres kettle-100 litres fermenter( 26 gal.) and 72 litres basket (19 gal) with Ø 50 x 55 cm high bag - 120 mesh. Both the boiler and the fermenter are in use for another hobby-hence the size. The reason why I'm asking is the Kveik Voss you mention, which is available down here. I live in a tropical area and cannot afford air conditioning because utilities are water from a deep well with a solar pump and power from solar cells. Kveik Voss can handle high temperatures right?

I can find Lager Malt ( Pilsner malt) Thomas Fawcett , Saaz hops + Styrian Goldings hops, Kveik Voss and intend to use lees from Orval (Brett) for the second fermentation. Is there any true and tried recipe going in that direction?
I have in mind an adapted version of Alison (Trippel Westmalle) from Gordon Strong's book (p267).

For your first question, yes Kveik thrives at higher temps. Kwek yeasts also tend to ferment quickly. Not sure about your attempts to add Belgian yeasts while fermentation is underway.

Not sure about your attempts to add Belgian yeasts while fermentation is underway.
Thanks for your answer, it's also my concern. I think that I'd better use Voss for both fermentations.

Back