single infusion with mashout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxmarie90

Reaction score
Call me stuipd but I need some help. Actually you should call me inexperienced. I would like to try biermunchers Blue balls Wit but am confused. Boil size is 6.5 gallons. They mash in with 3.5 gals. and mashout with 3gals. There has to be some loss due to grain absorbtion, so where does the other water come from? Do I just top off or do I batch sparge to get to 6.5 gallons? Thank you

You can get these numbers exact if you know the boiloff rate of your pot.

Grain absorbtion will be about 0.7 gallons per 10 lbs of grain.Scale this to your grain bill.

Boiloff rate varies per equipment. My 11 gallon BIAB pot boils off about 1.2 gallons per hour. My 15.5 gallon keggle boils off 1.8 gallons/hour.

So, assuming this is a 5 gallon recipe, on my equipment, my total water volume would be my target final volume (5 gallons) PLUS grain absorbsion (0.7 gallons, assuming 10 lb grain bill), PLUS boiloff (1.2 gallons), for a total of 6.9 gallons.

So, your recipe is probably assuming a lower boiloff rate or around 0.8 gallons to assume a starting water volume of 6.5 gallons.

From there, you use enough water to cover the grain bed, in this case they say it is 3.5 gallons, then sparge with 3.0 gallons to get up to your total volume of 6.5 gallons.

You'll lose 0.7 gallons to the grain absorbsion to get down to 5.8 gallons pre-boil, then assuming 0.8 gallons/hour boiloff, you'll boil down to your 5.0 gallon target volume.

are you saying that the grain absorption factor is suppose to be figured into(added to) the mashout volume?
The recipe he/she is looking at calls for a 6.5 boil. He /she is confused because mash in calls for 3.5 and mashout calls for 3gallons. Does he need to add the absorption to the mashout volume?

Oh, yeah....missed that.

If the recipe calls for 6.5 gallons in the boil, then you would need to account for grain absorbsion in your starting volume.

0.7 gallons/10 lbs of grain. If you are using 10 lbs. of grain, then starting with 4.2 gallons for the mash and sparging with 3.0 gallons will leave you with 6.5 for the boil.

RugenBrau said:
are you saying that the grain absorption factor is suppose to be figured into(added to) the mashout volume?
The recipe he/she is looking at calls for a 6.5 boil. He /she is confused because mash in calls for 3.5 and mashout calls for 3gallons. Does he need to add the absorption to the mashout volume?

The mashout volume IS the grain absorption factor. Otherwise your are doing a single sparge no mash out (which works too).

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Thanks everyone...still not sure.....maybe I'm mising the terminology. Logdrum.....How can I mash in with 3 gallons and have a 3.5 gallon grain absorpition? The mashout calls for 3.5 gallons

maxmarie90 said:
Thanks everyone...still not sure.....maybe I'm mising the terminology. Logdrum.....How can I mash in with 3 gallons and have a 3.5 gallon grain absorpition? The mashout calls for 3.5 gallons

You mash in w 3 gallons and have whatever grain absorption your system dictates. For me that is a factor of .13 including dead space.

The 3.5 gallons is your single infusion sparge.

3gl + ([grain weight x absorption factor] as mash out) + 3.5gl sparge = 6.5gl Pre Boil Volume

For a 10# grain bill:

3 gl mash in
(.13 x 10#) 1.3gl mash out@ almost boiling
3.5gl single infusion sparge
= 6.5 PBV
Make any more sense?
Look up dennybrew "cheap and easy all grain," Bobby from NJ, and don Osborn
FWIW I use a dual sparge

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

OP, his recipe does NOT take grain absorption into effect. You are correct. Grain absorption is between .12 and .2 gal/lb (depending on grains used). The recipe calls for
4.5 # Two Row
4.5 # Flaked wheat

So you have 9# grain. 9*1.55 (water/grain ratio BM used) = 3.48 gals for Mash. Round that up to match BM's number.

Grain absorption from that is say .15...so, 9#*.15 = 1.35 gals absorbed.
3.5 - 1.35 = 2.15 gallons of first runnings. Minus any Mash tun losses, you need 4.35 gallons sparge to reach the 6.5 gallon preboil volume. You can make 3 gallons of that the mash out water as the recipe is designed, but you will need to add roughly 1.35 gallons sparge water to get up the the pre boil.

In the end, depending on your system you might not actually need 6.5 gallons...No recipe is going to be exactly the same as what you will need. You may or may not get the same boil off and efficiency. You'll need to convert his recipe to match your own variables.

For me, I need more than that 6.5 gallons. I boil off a gallon an hour. I need 7.2 gallons preboil to achieve the 5.2 that he has post boil. If you boil off more than a half gallon an hour I would highly suggest you have more preboil volume or you will be off on gravity in the end.

I thought a mashout was when you added water to the mashtun to raise the temp prior to draining what was already in there and a sparge was when you drain the tun and "rinsed" the grain with 168-170 degree water. Still confused

Back