Single Infusion Oktoberfest, is melanoidin malt needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBrewins

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an Oktoberfest with a grain bill consisting of Vienna malt, some Munich II, and a little Caramunich. I would like to avoid doing a decotion. Should I expect a nice malty character or will a single infusion fail to bring out the melanoidin flavor? Should I add some melanoidin malt and if so, how much?

I would add it if not doing a decoction. You need it if you want to produce a really authentic Oktoberfest.

It no doubt will still be a really nice beer without it though.

If you believe those who say decoctions do not add any flavor then adding a specialty malt to substitute for a flavor that is claimed not to be there does not make sense. If you believe decotions do add flavor you could add a little Melanoidin, however, IMO the flavors added are not the same. As you already have CaraMunich in the recipe I would only use one, not both.

the most important things i've noticed to getting a nice malty character is keeping the hops away from the kettle after your bittering addition and focusing on a perfect fermentation.

Decoction is controversial enough that you won't get a straight answer here. I personally am in the camp that if you focus on a perfect fermentation, you'll make a great beer. For my Oktoberfest that I'm brewing next month, I'll be adding 1/4lb Melanoidin, but more to add complexity than replicate a decoction.

If you want to go through the whole decoction process, go for it. If not, you can still make a killer beer.

Back