Singing the praises of Oxy-Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I'm trying it for the first time tonight for beer label removal, and let me just say: it is amazing. I've had my bottles soaking for about two hours now, and all the labels are either falling off or come off with zero resistance. I still need to scrub off the remaining glue, but it looks partially broken down and there should be very little trouble getting it to come off.

A++++ would recommend. :ban:

you really don't need to wait 2 hours...

I put my bottles in (I can fit ~12 upright in a bucket) for 15 min, pull them out one at a time and peel the label off, put them back in while I am peeling the rest, then pull them out one at a time, dump back into the bucket and clean the glue off under running warm water with a scrubbie sponge.

Oh, I have my entire bathtub full of bottles right now. I just put them all in there and forget about them for awhile. I'm used to it taking a lot longer with just hot water, though. Either way, it's going to make label removal way easier. :D

on my first brew, I spilled some wort on the kitchen floor and it was damn near impossible to get rid of all of the stickiness

had another spill on batch #2, but that time I had some Oxyclean and it cleaned right up with no problems

it works like a charm on my Better Bottles too

<------ big fan

Orpheus said:
The Oxyclean definitely rocks! It works like a charm for cleaning carboys as well. 1 hour soak in the stuff and your carboy is as good as new.

Now, I've heard you get some kind of residue with it. Does it require endless rinsing, like with bleach, or is a single rinse gonna do the trick? Man, I really need a bottle cleaning gun and a bottle tree!

I have seen other folks mention oxyclean. Are we talking about the stuff you find in the laundry aisle at the grocery store or something different?

So, it works for label removing and cleaning equipment? Not detrimental to your brew?

Yeah, I find it in the laundry section of Target. It works VERY well, but I believe that it would be detrimental to your brew. I usually soak for a few hours, pull the labels off (those that haven't already fallen off), wipe the remaining glue off, and rinse in a second bucket of water to make sure all that stuff is off.

GODDAMIT! When I stop by a thread and expect singing I want to hear some GODDAM SINGING!

SING, BOYO! SING!

we don't sing for free.

give us a drink, then we will sing!

hmm, glass is empty, 'scuse me, off to the cellar...

:drunk:

ColoradoXJ13 said:
you really don't need to wait 2 hours...

I put my bottles in (I can fit ~12 upright in a bucket) for 15 min, pull them out one at a time and peel the label off, put them back in while I am peeling the rest, then pull them out one at a time, dump back into the bucket and clean the glue off under running warm water with a scrubbie sponge.

Yep, this is what I do too. It also works wonders in your primary fermenter. After transfering to the secondary, rinse out the loose crud, fill with water and add a 1/2 scoop of Oxyclean. By the next morning you can empty it and it is clean as a whistle.

I also just used it on 6 used Corny kegs full of Coke syrup. Clean in 1/2 hour with no scrubbing.

Let me give you one more tip - "Magic Erasers" They look like a dense white sponge, and can be found in the kitchen cleaing supplies aisle. Ever get grape juice or wine on you kitchen counters or floor? The Eraser takes it right out.

My wife uses oxyclean in the laundry. I went to use it and noticed it has little blue specs in the white powder.

Are there more than one type oxyclean, one with additives for laundry that shouldn't be used and a pure one?

I don't want laundry-fresh tasting beer!

When I used to bottle I would fill a tub with water and add a cup of ammonia. It took the labels right off. Then I would clean the bottles as usual. Cheap and effective.

evanmars said:
You can get the generic variety at a dollar store. Same stuff, less $.

Ahh good call.

One thing this will not work on is Amstel Light bottles. Someone gave me a bunch of them and for me it was like I had passed the point of no return trying to get the labels off. I ended up placing them in boiling water, and then using a razor blade to get them off. Then into Oxyclean solution for the glue, which still needed the razor blade :(. Yeah so if anyone gives you Amstel bottles THROW THEM INTO THE RECYCLE BIN> l:D

I ran into the problem with a Bear Racer 5 IPA bottle. Instead of the normal water soluble glue, the labels use an acrylic adhesive. Goo Gone works for those. Has anyone else had the issue with leaving stuff in the Oxy Clean a long time (days) and ending up with a white mineral deposit? I was turned off Oxy Clean by that.

My wife bought a knock-off called Tandil and it works great, took glue and everything off Samual Addms Bottles in about an hour.

I cleaned 24 22oz bottles yesterday that were soaking in an ice chest with oxyclean for a week. No mineral deposits at all that I noticed. What residue that was on the bottles rinsed right off with hose water.

stevenb said:
When I used to bottle I would fill a tub with water and add a cup of ammonia. It took the labels right off. Then I would clean the bottles as usual. Cheap and effective.

So now we're back to using Piss, but this time to remove labels...

Thats all I use for my bottles. 1 scoop. The only reason I let my bottles sit for a week is pure laziness. I hate cleaning bottles. The bottles I got from a friend had scotch tape on them from previous homebrew labels and I found that Oxy-Clean softens the tape but I still need to scrape it off. Also I fill my bottles with tap water first then fill up the cooler and add the cleaner that way I don't have to worry about the cleaner getting inside of them.

Torchiest said:
People were attaching labels with scotch tape? GHETTO.

Well if you met the guy I got them from you would understand. Not ghetto but whats that word... oh yea, *******

Back