Simulating Barrel Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus_13

Cul de Sac Brewer
Reaction score
I looked through and couldn't find anything so if anyone has a thread on this list it here please.

I'm wanting to drop some oak spirals in the primary fermentation for a couple Saison projects. The purpose would be to simulate these beers being fermented in oak barrels. I know it won't be perfect but it may just work. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before?

The other part of the plan is to reuse the spirals in other beers as I will more than likely be pitching Brett and/or Lacto with most if not all of the fermentations. This will create a sort of "bug stick" that I can treat as a barrel in my Better Bottle fermentations. Or so I think it will. Anything anyone can think will be a negative? Getting the spiral out is the biggest one I'm thinking of but, I've thought about giving Northern Brewer's wide mouth fermenters a shot if it's tough to get them out.

Most fermentations will be from 5-7 weeks-ish with the reuse of the spirals being longer as they won't put out as much oak flavor over time. I can even add fresh pieces of other ones in there if I want more oak flavor. This could be fun rotating experiment that I can add to my Saison program I'm working on.

Let me know what you guys think.

I have used them in the past. They do add a fair amount of oak to a 5 gallon carboy in fairly short order. Quick hot tip to get them out. Tie a piece of thin fishing line to it and hang it out of the carboy when you put the stopper on there. Works like a charm.
as for your project. Well your doing a Belgian so you are free to play for sure. I think your "bug stick" idea is a good one. Careful with the plastics and the bugs. They tend to hide in places that they cannot be found and they can "POP" up when you don't want to see them. Other than that. Enjoy farmhouse brewing!

Cheers
Jay

I have used them in the past. They do add a fair amount of oak to a 5 gallon carboy in fairly short order. Quick hot tip to get them out. Tie a piece of thin fishing line to it and hang it out of the carboy when you put the stopper on there. Works like a charm.
as for your project. Well your doing a Belgian so you are free to play for sure. I think your "bug stick" idea is a good one. Careful with the plastics and the bugs. They tend to hide in places that they cannot be found and they can "POP" up when you don't want to see them. Other than that. Enjoy farmhouse brewing!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay! I've been working with bugs and wild yeast for a while now. I have a separate set of everything for it. I've only had one cross contamination since I started and that was due to the bung/stopper I believe.

I like the idea with the fishing string. That way I can pull it out and hold it while I clean the BB for the next batch. Should be interesting and a cool way to inoculate my brews with a "house blend" of different bugs I use.

Back