Simpson’s Best Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get some? Can’t find it on any of my usual online sources or at the LHBS. Seems like it may not be available in the US?

AFAIK it is available in the US. My LHBS carries Simpsons MO and Golden Promise. They get it from BSG who is a US distributor and lists the Simpsons Best Pale on their website. Where do you buy malt? Ask your LHBS to order you a bag if you have one. If not one of the big online guys might have it.

The local BSG warehouse (for me, in Warwick, RI) carries (or at least can obtain) five Simpsons base malts. They've become my go-to for multi-sack buys...

upload_2020-1-5_18-23-4.png

Cheers!

Good chance your LHBS orders from BSG. If they have other Simpsons malts (or Weyermann, IIRC they are the sole source in North America) it's basically a certainty. In which case, you can get it. Your shop would have to order it for you, and you'd probably have to get a full 55lb sack (unless BSG repackages it in smaller quantities, which they likely do not do unless it sells in high volume at homebrew level).

fwiw, BSG in Warwick is strictly sacks, pallets of sacks, and multiple pallets of sacks :D
Their web page claims one can obtain samples but from what I've heard it's a pita to actually pull off...

Cheers!

Definitely available. Although the nearest BSG may not have it so you could be waiting on a special order of a special order.

fwiw, BSG in Warwick is strictly sacks, pallets of sacks, and multiple pallets of sacks :D
Their web page claims one can obtain samples but from what I've heard it's a pita to actually pull off...

Cheers!
As a retailer consumer, I'm sure it's difficult. As a wholesale customer account (like a brewery or LHBS), their sales reps are usually more than happy to dole out samples when asked (and often when not asked).

Also you forgot totes/supersacks lmao.

It is indeed a pain, even for commercial accts. The local warehouse has samples- they’re little plastic jars that hold a few ounces. You’re to do standard mash sample with them, not really for brewing a whole batch. At least thats what ive seen.

Thanks everyone. My LHBS says they can’t get it. Not sure if they use BSG. I’m asking for a sack, so that shouldn’t be the problem. Usually I can find anything at Morebeer but not this time! Sounds like it’s around, I’ll keep looking!

It's a good base malt but you can replace it with comparable products from other maltsters. Such as Crisp Best ale, Warminster std pale, the Fawcett pale varieties etc.

Back