Simplest Way to BREW????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arron

Reaction score
what is the simplest way to brew larger

not high tech gadgets im talking raw old school is it possible just to stick it all in a bucket (brew buddy larger mix) to ferment then after the needed time siv it into a bottle and store it for the needed time????

is this possible.

Arron:tank:

I think that at a minimum, you need a kettle large enough to brew in and a food grade bucket (6.5 gal) to ferment in. Note that a lager will need to ferment for a longer time at a cooler temperature than an Ale recipe would.

I used a turkey fryer and a bucket for my first extract kit. Other than building my own counter flow chiller ( I wouldn't call THAT high tech), that was it.

Larry

cheers for the reply mate

i used a 6.5 gallon bucket to ferment the kit in for just under 6 days and it has stopped fermenting is it ok to use platic bottles to bottle the drink in.

thanks
arron

Whoa. He deleted his post before I could read it, but I can't imagine that your reply would have helped things. It certainly didn't make you look like the voice of reason.

To answer your question, you could technically bottle your beer now (assuming you check the gravity and it's really done fermenting), but if you could leave it in the fermentor for two more weeks, the beer will get better. As for plastic bottles, as long as it's sanitized, keeps light out and you can seal it well, that should work. I use glass because it won't scratch and is cheaper for me to get hold of, but I know of others who use plastic, and homebrew sites sell plastic beer bottles. Just be careful not to scratch the inside of the bottle, as that can provide places for bacteria to hide, which is bad news.

Also, as someone said above, a true lager ferments at a lower temp and then is stored cold for a few months. It sounds like you're making an ale, which is all I've ever made. Check out www.howtobrew.com for a really excellent online resource that tells you everything you need to know about making beer.

Hey mods, can we merge this with the identical thread the OP started in the Beginners' forum?

HUH???

"Brew larger?"

The OP means LAGER.
A Brew Buddy brand LAGER kit.

OP, do you have lagering equipment? Fridge and temp controller?
Go read How To Brew as linked to above, and also think about picking up a copy of Papazian's The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing.

Also, NO. You shouldn't bottle yet. Give it a few more days.

The OP means LAGER.
A Brew Buddy brand LAGER kit.

OP, do you have lagering equipment? Fridge and temp controller?
Go read How To Brew as linked to above, and also think about picking up a copy of Papazian's The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing.

Also, NO. You shouldn't bottle yet. Give it a few more days.

Oh..gotcha....

THere's a Low tech lagering dvd put out by the basic brewing guys...

lagerdvd_MED.jpg

Low-Tech Lagering
In this DVD, we introduce you to the Low Tech Lagering System (LTLS), which will allow you to maintain consistent, controllable fermentation temperatures without the expense of purchasing a chest freezer.

Basic Brewing™ Shop

Back