simple wheat extract brewing today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamsccn

Reaction score
Getting ready to do this extract and was looking for critique on my hop additions..

10G batch 6 gallon boil

10lbs wheat DME

1.5oz Cascade @60

.5oz Cascade @10

1oz Amarillo @10

1.044OG

28 IBU

Top off to 10 gallons and split to 5 gallon carboys one with US-05 the other WLP320

did you run the recipe through beersmith or anything? it depends on what you're trying to achieve. MY hop additions are similar when im brewing a FIVE gal batch, however I only brew 5gal batches, use some software (or get someone to do it for you, I might if you ask nice...im tired and drink right now) to anticipate the OG, IBU, SRM, etc.

with that recipe, JUST an extract wheat? comon you can do better. Throw in some coriander and lemon or orange, flaked wheat and some pilsner

AdamPag said:
did you run the recipe through beersmith or anything? it depends on what you're trying to achieve. MY hop additions are similar when im brewing a FIVE gal batch, however I only brew 5gal batches, use some software (or get someone to do it for you, I might if you ask nice...im tired and drink right now) to anticipate the OG, IBU, SRM, etc.

with that recipe, JUST an extract wheat? comon you can do better. Throw in some coriander and lemon or orange, flaked wheat and some pilsner

I used beersmith.. I know I know grains and spice will add good things.. I usually do PMs or AG and always throw in stuff for a twist like paradise, coriander, orange, lemon, oats ect.. I justed wanted to make something very basic that taste good and mold it into something great later.. I had to force myself not to throw some paradise seed I had lying around in the keggle.

How about adding some honey or honey malt? I don't care for wheats, but love a honey wheat!
I added a small amount of Cascade to mine (which was for SWMBO) and she felt it took away from it. I didn't mind it (very subtle).

There they go.. I adjusted the dme additions to get me about 24 IBU according to beersmith might rack one of them onto fruit for a few days..

ForumRunner_20120523_184057.jpg

Got my temp controller today set it to 68 and the fermenters are sitting around 69-70 liquid temp. This will be my first brew at an actually controlled temperature.

AdamPag said:
pick a fruit yet?

I'm not sure if I wanna do it or not.. thought about racking one onto frozen blueberries.. if i rack cold wort onto them to prevent fermentation from restarting and keg will that retain a lot of the blueberry flavor? Has anyone tried that way?

ah I dont keg, and blueberry (however occasionally done well) often leaves me with a medicinal taste. I just bottled up a raspberry wheat that looks promising, berries make me thing spring. I have a blonde going to brew on monday I might transfer into a strawberry blonde, but its gonna be a bit much on the fruit for my Bill, having FOUR fruited beers and only one traditional on hand, not my style, but hey... the bitches love it

Back