Simple Syrup in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn151864

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I decided to try to make a clone of the 21st Amendment Sneak Attack Saison. I went onto the 21st Amendment website (http://21st-amendment.com/beers/sneak-attack/ ) and found some information on ingredients used in the beer and I even received a response from the owner of 21st Amendment when I emailed a question about how much cardamom I should use! I brought all that information to my local home brew supply guy. He set me up with a recipe that he thought might work. In it, he wrote candi sugar.

When I made the beer last week I noticed that I didn't have and candi sugar. He was closed at the time so I couldn't call him to find out what I should do. I vaguely remember having a conversation with him about this. For some reason I believe the conversation went towards making a simple syrup 1 part sugar to 1 part water and boiling.

I went online and found this article about substituting Candi Sugar. https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2012/01/18/belgian-candi-sugar-vs-table-sugar-for-beer/

I followed the instructions and essentially added a simple syrup (1 cup sugar to 1 cup water since I was making a 5 gallon batch and a tiny amount of lemon juice) to my fermentation bucket before I poured the boiled wort in.

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it before? I mean, it is sugar, so my yeast should eat that up, right? I feel like this should be fine, but if anyone has any thoughts on this let me know!

--Dan

I make my own candi syrup using the info from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=114837

it has worked very well in the past, but I still have trouble with overcooking and getting a darker colour than intended.

What you made isn't candi syrup. The sugar you boiled and added will bump your ABV and dry out your saison though which i'm wiling to bet is all the recipe needs anyways.

I've been using just plain table sugar in place of clear candi syrup and haven't noticed a difference. About 11 oz of dry sugar per pound of liquid candi. I run some wort into a small pot, dissolve the sugar and add it back into the boil.

Thanks guys. I'll have to see how this turns out. But it sounds like I didn't ruin it at least.

Porterpounder, I noticed you are from the southshore. I am as well. Have you ever been to Witches Brew in Foxboro for your ingredients? That guy is the man! :ban:

I went there once a while back. Interesting basement. I tend to use the Emporium for yeast and specialty grains, but get most of my stuff online as bulk grains and hops, even with shipping, tend to be much cheaper than the shop.

I've been wanting to clone this beer can you post your recipe for us to look at? And update us on the beer you brewed?

Back