Simple Pale Ale Malt Extract Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
I am making a pale ale to try and find a mix of hops that are to my preference. I want a very simple malt palate to let the hops stand out. As my plan stands now, I am making a 5 gallon batch and I am going to use 6.5 lbs of Light liquid extract and 1 lb of crystal 30 to steep.

2 Questions:

1. Is this mix too over simplified? should I add more volume to the steeped grains or maybe other kinds of crystal malt? Or more malt extract?

2. Not sure if it matters but is there a light malt extract that you consider to be the best? Or the closest to delivering the same base malt effect as 2-row pale malt?

THANKS!!

1. No, that's fine. Sometimes, simpler is better so that you can allow the hops to shine. Many pale ales and IPAs have only base malt and one other specialty malt (usually crystal malt) so you're doing what works! 6.5 pounds of liquid extract should give you an OG of 1.047 in 5 gallons.

2. I prefer dry malt extract, rather than the liquid, as I think it's usually lighter colored and also less "extract flavored", if that makes sense. I like the extra light DME, for most beers. If you can get fresh (not canned) extract it will be good as well.

One thing I'd do is use only about 2 pounds of extract in the boil, and then add the bulk of the extract at or near the end of the boil, especially if you're boiling a smaller volume and then topping up with water. It makes a lighter less "extracty" flavor in the final beer, and a lighter color as well.

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Quick question though, will the 1 lb crystal steep not add to the og?

i'd bump the crystal down to .5 lb, add a .5 lb carapils and 1.5 lbs of 2-row if your going to go through the trouble to steep crystal anyway. it'll add some body to that extract and bump the OG to about 1.050. just my worthless opinion. ;)

Back