Simple Hefeweizen Recipe help (extract)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephed666

Reaction score
I am making my first hefeweizen brew and wanted to make sure this is right.
From what I read it is basically a 65/35 wheat/pilsner split and any noble hop. So I was just going to use the following:

(5 gallon brew)
4 LBS Wheat DME
2 LBS Pilsner DME
1 OZ Hallertauer Hops
Wyeast 3068 or WLP 300 (1 package for starter)
-boil 3.5 gals water add ALL DME and bring back to boil and add hops.
-boil 60 minutes add to fermenter and top off
-pitch yeast at ~ 70F.
-ferment ~2 weeks and then secondary ~2 weeks...

Is that the basics? I read somewhere to use 2 packs of yeast but I am making a starter beforehand so I should be OK.

I am kegging and was a little confused about the carb level needed. I may as well add it to this thread. I usually keep my kegs at 38F and read that the Hefeweizen should have a carb level of 3.5 - 4.0. So I should dial up the PSI to about 25 correct?

Thanks for any help!

According to the Briess website, their wheat DME is already 65% - 35% wheat to Pilsner. So you could just use the wheat DME (LME is the same proportion).

Cheers,

According to the Briess website, their wheat DME is already 65% - 35% wheat to Pilsner. So you could just use the wheat DME (LME is the same proportion).

Cheers,

I didn't know that, thanks!
I guess just 6 lbs of the briess DME then

is the carahell necessary?
8oz seems like such a little amount.

I've heard of plenty of people making it without grains, but I liked it with the specialty grains at the beginning and they're <$1 for .5 lbs. It adds to the color a bit, too. Optional, definitely.

I've heard of plenty of people making it without grains, but I liked it with the specialty grains at the beginning and they're <$1 for .5 lbs. It adds to the color a bit, too. Optional, definitely.

Did you steep them for 30 minutes? ~160F?

Did you steep them for 30 minutes? ~160F?

Yep! I've also heard of people using Crystal 20. My partner likes dark beers so the most recent one we switched to 8 oz of crystal 40 for 30 minutes before adding extract. I'm going to make a raspberry pale ale next with fruit in the secondary chamber for a half batch.

Back