Simple Extract Pilsner Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvb

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've been wanting to try a simple Pilsner recipe and came across the one below that seems to fit the bill, but it's kind of cryptic for a newbie like me. I posted questions in bold in the recipe that I'd like to get some feedback on.

6lbs Pilsner Malt extract (DME or LME? I was thinking LME.)

Steep: 12 oz German Munich Malt (8L) (Steep malts for how long and what temp? I was thinking 20 minutes at 170 f.)
8 oz German Light Crystal (Couldn't find a German Light Crystal Malt - garden variety light crystal malt OK?)
8 oz Aromatic

Hops: 1/2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker at 60 min (I believe this means, remove the grains, bring the mixture to a boil, stir in malt extract and hops and boil for 60 minutes.)
1/2 oz Spalter at 60 min
If desired, throw some 1/2 oz hersbrucker or spalter in at 5 minutes (Add with 5 minutes remaining in boil, if desired?)

Yeast: German Lager (White Labs or Wyeast, doesn't matter) Or to make life easy, use Saflager W34/70 (This is the dried Wheinstephan Strain).

Pitch yeast at 50F, Ferment 50F for 10 days, 3 Days diacetyl rest at room temp, slowly decrease temp over several days to 35-38F and lager for 42 days.

Thanks!
Jim

This looks like an incomplete recipe (missing batch size, estimated OG, IBUs, FG). But with some assumption, the beer should come out good.

I would assume they intended to use LME. For five gallon batches, most recipes will use LME.

6 lb of LME in 5 gal water is roughly OG of 43. ABV between 4% and 4.5%

Steep: 12 oz German Munich Malt (8L) (Steep malts for how long and what temp? I was thinking 20 minutes at 170 f.)
Munich Malt (8L) is a base malt, so it needs to be 'mashed' to convert starches into sugars. Soak the grains in 150* F water for 20 to 30 minutes.

8 oz German Light Crystal (Couldn't find a German Light Crystal Malt - garden variety light crystal malt OK?)
That would be OK.

Hops: 1/2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker at 60 min (I believe this means, remove the grains, bring the mixture to a boil, stir in malt extract and hops and boil for 60 minutes.)
That's what I would do.

1/2 oz Spalter at 60 min
If desired, throw some 1/2 oz hersbrucker or spalter in at 5 minutes (Add with 5 minutes remaining in boil, if desired?)
That's what I would do as well.

If go with dme as lme tends to give more color and with your grains you'll end up with a fairly dark pilsner.

Yes. Using either will work. If you go with DME you will get a higher amount of alcohol because the DME has more sugars per pound plus you will get a lighter color as the process to make LME tends to darken it. If you add 1/3 to 1/2 half of the malt extract at the beginning of the boil and the rest when you turn off the heat your beer should also turn out lighter in color. Boiling the extract will darken it.

8 oz Aromatic

As mentioned, Munich malt can be mashed (steeped between 148 and 160F) for extra sugars but if steeped outside that range of temperatures it will still give up its flavor. I would encourage you to try to steep in the range I mentioned as it is good practice for the time when (if?) you decide you want to brew all grain. (which is very easy with BIAB)

Back