Simple cheap bulkhead fitting for a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I just purchased an ordinary brass compression fitting to use for a bulkhead fitting..........

Who ever heard of using a compression fitting as a bulkhead fitting? I never have, but it is perfect for the job.

1/2" male pipe to 1/2" copper tubing compression fitting.

Here's how it works. There is a significant flat shoulder behind the hex on this fitting due to the size difference between the two ends. This shoulder is perfect for an O-ring to bear against, and against the surface of the pot. The copper tubing end of the fitting extends inside the mash tun.

A short piece of copper tubing is cut and inserted into the fitting and the fitting is tightened to squeeze the ferrule down solidly onto the copper tubing (permanently). This copper tubing will slip inside a braid hose in the mash tun.

When tightened down, the nut doesn't pull the fitting tightly into position....... Which is OK as you need a washer anyway. With the washer installed, it may or may not draw down tightly enough. It won't take a lot of pressure. At this point you can resort to one several different strategies. I will put the fitting in the drill press with a large bit and trim the fitting down a bit. Alternatively you could put a nylon washer or another O-ring below the washer. Remember that the it really doesn't matter if the copper tube is clamped in rigidly or can rattle around a bit......... while it does matter that the fitting is clamped tightly to the mash tun.

Latest posts

Back