Simple answer to brewing water adjustments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtrfwlnut

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an easy answer to treating brewing water for optimal performance in making an ale? I'm just hoping to buy RO water and make some adjustments and go...I have Gypsum and Calcium Carbonate and have just added 1 tbsp. of each to my strike water in the past but not sure if that is giving me what I should have. Do I need to add the Gyp to the mash in stead of the strike water?...If the answer is that I just need to read or use the Bru'n water site and figure it out, I'm good with that...

I'm basically brewing simple IPA's using the following 5 gallon batches

12lb - 2 Row
1lb - Caramel 40
.5lb - Caramel/Crystal 15

.75 Centennial @60
.75 Centennial @20
1oz Centennial @ 10
.5oz Cascade @0
2oz Cascade dry hop 7 days before cold crash

Thanks for any help....I thought I heard of a site that was selling adjustment kits for RO water based on the type of beer you want to brew, I just haven't found them yet.

There is a basic water priming thread around here somewhere that pretty much does this exactly. Measurements were in teaspoons for ease of use. I personally will use distilled water, add about a teaspoon of calcium chloride and call it a day. I also add 3-4% acidulated malt to handle my mash PH. Working well so far.

...If the answer is that I just need to read or use the Bru'n water site and figure it out, I'm good with that...

Bru'n Water is absolutely worth it. It has a bit of a learning curve but read the instructions and help text associated with many of the cells and it will make sense. If you're just going to use RO water, you don't even need to enter water data. Just choose 100% dilution with RO on the mineral additions page.

Latest posts

Back