Simple all grain recipe for first time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefer

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been reading about home brewing for quite some time. I'm very excited about starting my first batch, however, due to constraints on cash I don't know when that will be.

I'd been looking at using extracts first, as that seemed like the simplest path, but it also looks like it's a bit more expensive. So I was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to jump straight in to all grain? From what I can see it's quite a bit cheaper to buy grains than extracts (i'm finding 3.3 pounds of extracts for around $15 and 10 pounds of grain malts for around the same price). I figure if I went straight to all grain I could brew a few batches for about the same price.

So I was wondering if someone could give me a reallly simple all grain recipe to try out for my first time.. Or some advice. Or both!

Give this a try. One of my first as an extract, converted with Beersmith and adjusted for AG. Good luck.

Bootlegged ESB
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/21/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Spence
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs 4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.31 %
5.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.42 %
5.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 4.42 %
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.42 %
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.42 %
0.75 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.3 IBU
0.25 oz Galena [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.87 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.77 %
Bitterness: 44.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 7.49 lb
Sparge Water: 4.81 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 9.37 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Cool with immersion chiller.
Created with BeerSmith

you need the ability to boil at least 6.5 gallons, you need a mashtun, a wort chiller, and some way to heat everything. I have a turkey fryer setup with a 7.5 gallon pot that I use for heating my water, I collect in a keg that has had the top cut off and a ball valve and pickup tube installed for draining, I use an Igloo ice cube cooler that has a ball valve and stainless braid as my mash tun. I have a simple copper immersion chiller for cooling everything down, the turkey fryer burner is plenty powerful enough to boil even a 10 gallon batch. that is a pretty basic list of equipment to get the job done. You might also want to look into this thread on easy stovetop all grain brewing

you need the ability to boil at least 6.5 gallons, you need a mashtun, a wort chiller, and some way to heat everything. I have a turkey fryer setup with a 7.5 gallon pot that I use for heating my water, I collect in a keg that has had the top cut off and a ball valve and pickup tube installed for draining, I use an Igloo ice cube cooler that has a ball valve and stainless braid as my mash tun. I have a simple copper immersion chiller for cooling everything down, the turkey fryer burner is plenty powerful enough to boil even a 10 gallon batch. that is a pretty basic list of equipment to get the job done. You might also want to look into this thread on easy stovetop all grain brewing

That's a great link, thanks!

Yeah, i've got one of those huge 6 gallon pots that I figure i'd use for my mash. Gonna have to get a grain bag though. I was just gonna throw the whole pot in the bathtub with some ice water.

Thanks for the help so far guys! And that recipe looks like exactly what i wanted. Just one type of grain, and one kind of hops. I'm not trying to invent anything here, just trying to get my first batch under my belt.

Also, would it make a difference if I didn't crash cool?

After fermentation is complete, crash cooling helps clarify the beer, if this is not possible don't sweat it, bottle it and let it carb up for 3 weeks or so and try one after a few days in the refrigerator, if it is carbed up to your liking, refrigerate some for drinking for a couple weeks, the cold will drop most of the solids from your beer resulting in some clear beer.

Here is a pic of my strawberry blonde that was not cold crashed, but simply kegged and left alone for a month before pouring a pint. it is basically the same process but on a 5 gallon scale instead of in bottles.

Strawberry_Blonde_003.jpg

I think Keefer is asking about rapid cooling of the wort after the boil. The faster you cool, the better to avoid contamination by bacteria other than your yeast. Crash cooling refers to cooling the fermented beer to drop the yeast out of suspension. But I'm a noob as well, so take my answer with grain of salt.

Back