Simcoe/Maris Otter FWH/Hopburst SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFCreatureFM

Reaction score
So I bought a pound of Simcoe hops and a mess of Maris Otter. I am a relatively new AG brewer (5 batches), and know already that I absolutely love this hop and this grain, but I would like to do a SMASH. I am fully on board that this is the best way to learn about my ingredients. I also bought some Mosaic, but I plan to brew a 7 gallon Simcoe/MO FWH IPA, then split it into a 5 gallon "true" SMASH, and 2 separate gallons (in a separate carboy) that are dry-hopped with Mosaic.

I also plan (and I know this will piss off some SMASH enthusiasts) to *lightly* toast a few pounds of the Maris Otter for the single mash. Normally, my IPAs have other malts and a bit of body. I like this, and want some malt in the final product.

Here is what I am looking at:

14 lbs Maris Otter [87.5% of grain]
2 lbs Maris Otter (toasted at 350 for 20 minutes) [12.5% of grain]
0.5 oz Simcoe First Wort Hop 60 min. [33 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 20 min. [16.5 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 15 min. [14.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 10 min. [10.9 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe 5 min. [6 IBU]
1 oz Simcoe flameout steep (20 min) [0 IBU]

Dryhop 5 gallons with 1.5 oz Simcoe.

Move another 2 gallons to a different carboy and dryhop (eventually) with 1 oz Mosaic.

Beersmith says the two different beers are 66.5 IBUs (without Beersmith accounting for the flameout addition). This is a 4.7 ABV beer.

I don't know how to build the toasting into Beersmith. Is this enough? I am toasting after milling.

Any thoughts or comments on the recipe(s)? Any thoughts on mash temp, if I want some body and malt presence? Any thoughts on my toasting?

Thanks in advance.

So I bought a pound of Simcoe hops and a mess of Maris Otter. I am a relatively new AG brewer (5 batches), and know already that I absolutely love this hop and this grain, but I would like to do a SMASH. I am fully on board that this is the best way to learn about my ingredients. I also bought some Mosaic, but I plan to brew a 7 gallon Simcoe/MO FWH IPA, then split it into a 5 gallon "true" SMASH, and 2 separate gallons (in a separate carboy) that are dry-hopped with Mosaic.

I also plan (and I know this will piss off some SMASH enthusiasts) to *lightly* toast a few pounds of the Maris Otter for the single mash. Normally, my IPAs have other malts and a bit of body. I like this, and want some malt in the final product.

Move another 2 gallons to a different carboy and dryhop (eventually) with 1 oz Mosaic.

Beersmith says the two different beers are 66.5 IBUs (without Beersmith accounting for the flameout addition). This is a 4.7 ABV beer.

I don't know how to build the toasting into Beersmith. Is this enough? I am toasting after milling.

Any thoughts or comments on the recipe(s)? Any thoughts on mash temp, if I want some body and malt presence? Any thoughts on my toasting?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps mash at 154.
I think 66IBUs for a 4.7% beer is a bit rough, but perhaps it isn't for your tastes.

I read Beersmith incorrectly. It's a 6% beer. But I take your point, especially because the IBU calculation does not take into account flameout hops. Maybe I'll back it off a little more.

If you want to get a feel for the malt, I'd back off of the hops to let some of the MO subtleties shine through. Maybe drop the 15 and 5 min additions.

the 66 IBUs will not taste that way because of FWH...I think that your recipe looks great as is, plus toasting the MO will raise your FG and leave more sweetness to balance the IBU's. The only thing I would change is the dry hop, go with 3 ounces minimum.

Thanks in advance.

I like your recipe as is, I bet this will be delicious. What is your OG, estimated FG, and yeast? That will help determine a mash temp.

AnchorBock said:
I like your recipe as is, I bet this will be delicious. What is your OG, estimated FG, and yeast? That will help determine a mash temp.

I will have to check on OG and FG, but Beersmith won't be right, I don't think, because it won't account for the toasted maris otter, which should raise the FG.

I have a number of packets of SO4 and SO5 on hand. Hadn't decided which to reconstitute and pitch. Maybe the SO4. Aiming for something clean. I do not want the yeast in the way.

Leaning towards mashing around 152 to 154, but if I get within a degree or so, I will be pleased and generally don't worry too much. Thanks also to everyone for good suggestions. I may move the 15 min addition to dry hop. I will play it by ear. Toasting tomorrow, then letting toasted malts sit for a week in a paper bag, as other threads suggest, to allow off flavors to dissipate. Then brewing next weekend, unless life gets in the way.

BBFCreatureFM said:
I will have to check on OG and FG, but Beersmith won't be right, I don't think, because it won't account for the toasted maris otter, which should raise the FG.

I have a number of packets of SO4 and SO5 on hand. Hadn't decided which to reconstitute and pitch. Maybe the SO4. Aiming for something clean. I do not want the yeast in the way.

Leaning towards mashing around 152 to 154, but if I get within a degree or so, I will be pleased and generally don't worry too much. Thanks also to everyone for good suggestions. I may move the 15 min addition to dry hop. I will play it by ear. Toasting tomorrow, then letting toasted malts sit for a week in a paper bag, as other threads suggest, to allow off flavors to dissipate. Then brewing next weekend, unless life gets in the way.

According to Beersmith,

OG = 1.062
estimated FG = 1.017

Back