Simcoe hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking to pick up some simcoe hops but it seems like the handful of places I go to online and the local home brew shop, don't have any. Anyone have a link to a joint that might actually have some and/or provide some info on why they are seemingly currently short?

Cheers,
Scot

I was at Weyerbacher yesterday for a tour and they were talking about using 50-60lbs of Simcoe per batch of their Double Simcoe IPA. No wonder there is a shortage.

Simcoe is also a proprietary varietal that's only licensed to be grown by certain farmers. The yield on Simcoe crops is high, but when there aren't many farmers growing it... well, demand does the rest. If you're looking for suitable replacements, give Summit or Centennial a shot -- or some other kinda supercharged Cascade.

good luck with your hunt. I bought out the LHBS about 3 weeks ago when they still had backstock. They're sold out now and cant get more. I think I have enough for 2 more batches of IPA before the fall harvest starts to hit the shops.

I just bought some at Steinbart's here in Portland. I know they have an online store now, might check to see if they're available...

Small local breweries may sell you some if you chat up the head brewer. Just scored a lb. of amarillo a few weeks ago.

I just bought some at Steinbart's here in Portland. I know they have an online store now, might check to see if they're available...
Just ordered some from there. They had the cheapest price out of everyone's listing (thanks for all the input) at $20.00 for a pound, just in case that helps anyone else.

I do not think they are worth paying any extra. There are tons of other hops available.

I do not think they are worth paying any extra. There are tons of other hops available.
Please correct if I am wrong, but it doesn't seem that one hop can replace Simcoe easily from my research. What would you recommend?

I would recommend a different recipe or often if I am out of a particular hop I will subsitute any hop for it, making sure to do the math with the AA% to make the IBUs the same.

It's funny how certain hops are trendy for a while. I remember back when it was Citra a few years ago, and before that Centennial.

Read some old threads on Simcoe. In 2008, you'd get a lot of negativity if you planned on using it large amounts.

Simcoe is definitely running out places. One of my LHBS is out, probably until this fall.

Thankfully the other has a few pounds still. I bought almost half a pound when i was there.

No one mentioned Morebeer.com - they still have simcoe pellets. 2 bucks an ounce & qualifies for free ship program (orders over $39 are free ship this month.)

Cheers!

The local Northern Brewer store here in Wisconsin just got a stock in, I picked up half a pound.

Yeah, Simcoe seems to be the "fashionable" hop now. One of the local micros has their APA dryhopped with Simcoe....got it on tap all the time.

I placed an order last week, and when I couldn't find Simcoe at any of my usual sources, I just changed recipes to something that doesn't use Simcoe. Not that important to me.....

Back