Simcoe hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
Are Simcoe hops good used on their own or are they best combined with other hops varieties? What other hops go well combined with simcoe?

I have done an all simco pale ale and it was fantastic. They go well with cascades in my opinion.

Any american citrusy hop goes well with Simcoe but I've made a American/UK hybrid IPA that blended Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Simcoe and Cascade hops and it was very very tasty.

i just used simcoe to dry hop a wheat beer that was hoped with cascade. very good. crisp and refreshing.

Right. My mistake. Was caught in the heat of the moment of a poorly hopped beer. Was fine for aroma, but horrible as taste.

Edit: lol. Like your additional "my ass" indignation.

Check a hops description chart before you get some bad advice.Hops to me are the most confusing part of brewing. I made a all centennial pale and i think i should have not used it for flavoring just bittering and finish,as according to a hops description reccomendation.

my question imparting bitterness would be you could use any hop right? since it only bitters,right? all you have is to adust the amount along with the aau's.It seems only a few can be used to flavor and almost most for aroma.Is this correct?

Redeem myself. :p Different hops will impart different bitterness's.

• Preferably, aroma hops should be added during the first half of the cooking time
as this gives the drink an enjoyable bitterness.
• Alternatively, bittering hops should be added if this has proven of value in
brewing experiments for one’s own beer varieties. e.g. IPAs
• An increased use of aroma hops in relation to bitter hops leads to a ‘ milder ’ and
more ‘ harmonic ’ bitterness

my question imparting bitterness would be you could use any hop right? since it only bitters,right? all you have is to adust the amount along with the aau's.It seems only a few can be used to flavor and almost most for aroma.Is this correct?

Some high alpha acid hops used for bittering do give discernably different characters to the bitterness. Simcoe can give a slight piney character, Pacific Gem can give an undertone of tart berry with its bitterness, for example.

But generally, yes, you can use a high alpha acid hop as a bittering hop in a variety of styles of beer. I use organic Pacific Gem hops in many beers, for example.

Im a total fan of Simco though I highly recommend adding another hop to the mix.. I've dry hopped with a simco/kent goldings combo with good results. you just need something to offset the piny attitude of simco.. it gives a nice clean taste though. I've had a couple all simco brews and they seem to need some counter point. Not bad.. just not well rounded.

I usually use Simcoe for bittering and a little flavor, and almost always match it with Cascade. My favorite combo is Simcoe for bittering/some flavor, Cascade for flavor and some aroma, and dry hop with Wilamette.

I am a Simcoe fiend right now. 3 out of my last 4 batches have been all Simcoe. Hop early, hop often, hop late. Dry hop too. Doing another all-Simcoe Cal Common this weekend.

I'm sure I'll get over the obsession sooner or later...

I am a Simcoe fiend right now. 3 out of my last 4 batches have been all Simcoe. Hop early, hop often, hop late. Dry hop too. Doing another all-Simcoe Cal Common this weekend.

I'm sure I'll get over the obsession sooner or later...

LOL.

I've got a 100% simcoe IPA that I just tapped into yesterday, too.

My pale ale is all Simcoe FWH and Simcoe dry hop.

My IPA is Simcoe FWH, amarillo/simcoe blend in the boil, and a blend of simcoe/amarillo/citra for dry hop. It tastes like eating a fruit cup with a nice smooth bitterness.

Im a total fan of Simco though I highly recommend adding another hop to the mix.. I've dry hopped with a simco/kent goldings combo with good results. you just need something to offset the piny attitude of simco.. it gives a nice clean taste though. I've had a couple all simco brews and they seem to need some counter point. Not bad.. just not well rounded.

Who else agrees with theonetrueruss's take on simcoe as needing another hops variety for a counter point?

I take it that mullenite, Walker, arturo7, Deuce all think simcoe works well by itself and would not agree with the above statement.

I've made 3 all simcoe beers in the last year; 2 pale ales and one IPA (dry hopped). I can't get enough of the stuff!

Who else agrees with theonetrueruss's take on simcoe as needing another hops variety for a counter point?

I take it that mullenite, Walker, arturo7, Deuce all think simcoe works well by itself and would not agree with the above statement.

Don't jump the gun there. The IPA I was talking about it is the first beer I have ever used Simcoe in, and it just got tapped and isn't fully carbed.

I will have to give it time before I can make any statement about it.

I will sat one thing, I specifically selected Simcoe because of all the stuff I read about it tasting piney. But... I don't agree with that. The stuff tastes big and cistrusy... no pine detected at all.

Don't jump the gun there. The IPA I was talking about it is the first beer I have ever used Simcoe in, and it just got tapped and isn't fully carbed.

I will have to give it time before I can make any statement about it.

I will sat one thing, I specifically selected Simcoe because of all the stuff I read about it tasting piney. But... I don't agree with that. The stuff tastes big and cistrusy... no pine detected at all.
I get some pine but a lot of really resinous citrus.

Hi Walker - to my taste buds and nose, the aroma and flavor of Simcoe is very citrus-y, but used as a bittering hop, I detect a pine undertone to the bitterness. But its subtle and I may just be making it up :)

Yeah, I don't really get the 'piney' comments either. To me Simcoe tastes like overripe pineapple when used late in the boil or as a dryhop. I've heard a lot of others say it smells like cat pee, but I don't get that at all.

Personally I like it when used with other, harsher hops to offset it's sweetness. Something like Chinook, Centennial or even Cascade will accomplish this with good results.

Palisade and Simcoe is nice, and the always populay Simarillo (Simcoe/Amarillo) combo. I like the Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial combo. This is what is in Pliny and I think it is a great mix.

Redeem myself. :p Different hops will impart different bitterness's.

• Preferably, aroma hops should be added during the first half of the cooking time
as this gives the drink an enjoyable bitterness.
• Alternatively, bittering hops should be added if this has proven of value in
brewing experiments for one’s own beer varieties. e.g. IPAs
• An increased use of aroma hops in relation to bitter hops leads to a ‘ milder ’ and
more ‘ harmonic ’ bitterness

Is it just me for does this tip not make any sense?

I think the confusion, for me anyways is that Aroma, Bitter and Flavor aren't types of hops so much as they are when we add the hops to the boil. Adding "aroma" hops to the first half of boil doesn't make them aroma hops at all, they become bittering hops at that point. Probably just a terminology thing, although the second point doesn't make sense to me anyway i look at it.

Is it just me for does this tip not make any sense?

I think the confusion, for me anyways is that Aroma, Bitter and Flavor aren't types of hops so much as they are when we add the hops to the boil. Adding "aroma" hops to the first half of boil doesn't make them aroma hops at all, they become bittering hops at that point. Probably just a terminology thing, although the second point doesn't make sense to me anyway i look at it.

Traditionally, and in much literature, certain varieties of hops have been classified as "aroma" hops and some as "bittering" hops. This is based mainly on whether the hops have a pleasant flavor to offer, or just bitterness.

I think that's what he means there.

Even in ProMash, hop varieties are tagged with "usage" and this will be either "bittering" or "armoa" or "both".

I will toss my hat in the simcoe ring. I recently made a DIPA with a lot of late addition of cascade and simcoe then dry hopped with 1 oz each simcoe, amarillo, and citra. It is delicious.

Yeah, I don't really get the 'piney' comments either. To me Simcoe tastes like overripe pineapple when used late in the boil or as a dryhop. I've heard a lot of others say it smells like cat pee, but I don't get that at all.

I detect nothing but "cat piss" from Citra hops, personally.

I need to give my IPA a chance, but right now.... it's like eating fruit salad. :D

Simcoe = delicious and wonderful :)

My venture with the hop was an American Stout with all Simcoe and it was fantastic!

Simcoe is my favorite flavor and aroma hop. I haven't used it for bittering, since I pretty much always use Magnum for that. It works great by itself, complements woods extremely well (especially Spanish Cedar/Mahogany), but also complements any of the citrusy/fruity hops very nicely. I bet it would work well with earthy, English-style hops as well.

Gotta support simcoe here. I've never use it by itself, but I love it for all stages in big IPAs. Goes great with any of the American C-hops. If you can get ahold of it, look for Wayerbacher Simcoe Double IPA. All simcoe in a big DIPA. Fantastic.

I usually use Simcoe for bittering and a little flavor, and almost always match it with Cascade. My favorite combo is Simcoe for bittering/some flavor, Cascade for flavor and some aroma, and dry hop with Wilamette.

Interesting. I had been advised on this forum topic not to use Simcoe and Cascade together. I had actually purchased both of those hops for my very first extract recipe and was planning to use simcoe for bittering since it is high alpha. I ended up heeding the advise and making it an all Cascade APA (turned out nice). Here's what I was told:
I don't suggest Simcoe as a bittering hop as you'll end up losing all that great aroma and flavor.
I agree with Bend, the simcoe is going to overpower your beer ...
Form that I had concluded that simcoe and cascade don't work well together. A few other people on this topic have suggested Cascade with Simcoe so are BendBrewer and arch1tect full of BS?

Form that I had concluded that simcoe and cascade don't work well together. A few other people on this topic have suggested Cascade with Simcoe so are BendBrewer and arch1tect full of BS?

Different strokes for different folks

i have a cascade and simcoe hopped wheat that im drinking now. its delicious. 2oz cascade at 60min 1oz at 2 minutes and dryhopped with 1oz simcoe. they probably just had bad experiences

Latest posts

Back