Simcoe for bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgodilovebeer

Reaction score
While moving stuff around in the kegerator's freezer, I found a few ounces of simcoe (unopened & stored in freezer) from a couple of years ago. As I recall, it's a real catty batch and I didn't like it much as I used it late in the boil.

Does anybody use Simcoe for a bittering hop, and what should I expect? I've read that Simcoe is quite low in co-humulone (lower than my go-to bittering hop Magnum), which is good. Anyone have an APA recipe that you've used it in?

The alpha acids alone would make it a fine bittering hop and as you didn't like the aroma, using it at 60 or 45 minutes will take care of that issue. As you note, it is low in cohumulone so it should not impart an overt harshness. I've only used Simcoe for late additions and have had the good fortune of not running into a "catty" batch.

As long as they're unopened and stored in the freezer they should make a good bittering addition. I too have run into the cat pee and do not like. No late simcoe for me thanks.

Latest posts

Back