Simcoe, Columbus & Amarillo IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donerj03

Reaction score
I really like these three hops so I'm trying to make an IPA to include them. My first attempt at building an AG recipe and I don't have any software to tell me if I'm on the right path...Was hoping you all could help me out with the grain and the quantities of hops and boil timing. I'm looking for an IPA kinda hoppy flavor. Heres what I got so far

10 lbs Domestic 2-row
.5 lbs Carpills
.5 Carmel 60L
Simcoe
Columbus
Amarillo

Ha! I'm not really sure what to do with the hops, so any feedback would be great! I really like Amarillo dry hopping so I might incorporate that into this recipe. I'm open to any and all suggestions!!:mug:

How many oz. of thos hops do you have? I recommend using them in large amounts at any combination of 10-5-0-DH. Choose a 60 minute bittering hop like Magnum, Chinook, Columbus, or Summit.

I do not have the hops just yet, but I live really close to Midwest and they are pretty good at keeping hops in stock. I'll have to check out that beercaculus site. maybe that will give me a better idea of what and when.
I think I'll use Columbus to bitter and Amarillo to dry hop. Going off What bobbrews has to say maybe I set up the hop schedule like this:
1 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz simcoe 20 min
.5 oz amarillo 20 min
.5 oz simcoe 10 min
.5 oz amarillo 10 min
.5 oz simcoe 5 min
.5 oz amarillo 5 min
1 oz amarillo dry hop

Total: 5 oz. hops

What do you think?

0.75 - 1.00 oz Columbus 60 min
0.75 - 1.00 oz Simcoe your choice of anywhere between 5-15 min (one addition is fine)
0.75 - 1.00 oz Amarillo your choice of anywhere between 5-15 min (one addition is fine)
1.00 - 1.25 oz Simcoe flameout / long hopstand
1.00 - 1.25 oz Amarillo flameout / long hopstand
1.00 - 1.25 oz Simcoe 7-10 day dryhop
1.00 - 1.25 oz Amarillo 7-10 day dryhop

Total: more like 7-9 oz. hops

I would also recommend adding 1/2 lb. corn sugar to the recipe.

my suggestion:

.25oz simcoe FWH
.25oz amarillo FWH

1oz columbus 60min

1oz amarillo 0 min
1oz simcoe 0 min
(20min aroma steep)

dry hop 1oz each amarillo, simcoe, and columbus

If you're shooting to buy about 5 oz of hops..keep in mind to use each hop at a full ounce since you'd most likely be purchasing that way.

I'd go with 3 oz of amarillo, 1 oz each of Simcoe and Columbus

Just a quick thought..

1 oz Columbus @60
.5 oz Simcoe @20
.5 oz Amarillo @20
1 oz Amarillo @5

.5 oz Simcoe DH
1.5 oz Amarillo DH

Grain bill looks a little light for IPA.. I'd prob up the 2 row to 12 lb or 11 lb with .5 of sugar.

I do not have the hops just yet, but I live really close to Midwest and they are pretty good at keeping hops in stock. I'll have to check out that beercaculus site. maybe that will give me a better idea of what and when.
I think I'll use Columbus to bitter and Amarillo to dry hop. Going off What bobbrews has to say maybe I set up the hop schedule like this:
1 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz simcoe 20 min
.5 oz amarillo 20 min
.5 oz simcoe 10 min
.5 oz amarillo 10 min
.5 oz simcoe 5 min
.5 oz amarillo 5 min
1 oz amarillo dry hop

Total: 5 oz. hops

What do you think?

This is great stuff! Thank you.

Do you have any feedback on the grain bill?
10 lbs Domestic Two Row
0.5 lbs Carpils
0.5 lbs Carmel 60L
I'm looking for a carmel/sweet flavor in that is a copper color.

You want a sweet, low abv IPA? Caramel color is not always indicative of caramel flavor.

Can you give us a commercial example of what you're striving for?

I just brewed an IPA with these hops two days ago, it is my favorite hop combination. I also make a RED IIPA with these hops, and that is one of my favorite beers. The IPA a made two nights ago is this:

5 gallon, AG, 60 min boil

6 lbs MO
6 lbs Pale
.5 lbs C40

1 oz Columbus @ 50 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 30 min
2 oz Amarillo @ 2 min
2 oz Simcoe @ 2 min

Fermenting with US-05 at 65 degrees and smells like heaven in the chamber!

Will get 2 oz Amarillo and 2 oz Simcoe dry hop as well... mmmmmmmm

I'm with ya. i like a sweet hoppy ipa. Get the bulk of your bittering at 60 mins and add lots of hops later for aroma/flavor

The color comes out a little light.. I'd replace the Carapils with more crystal, maybe something in the 20 to 40 range and mash on the higher side. Add a couple pounds of 2 row..no sugar.

This is great stuff! Thank you.

Do you have any feedback on the grain bill?
10 lbs Domestic Two Row
0.5 lbs Carpils
0.5 lbs Carmel 60L
I'm looking for a carmel/sweet flavor in that is a copper color.

My last IPA used these three hops. Amarillo and Simcoe are MONEY together!

10# 2 Row
.5# Carapils
.5# C40

1oz Columbus 60min
.5oz Amarillo 10min
1.5oz Amarillo 2min
1oz each Amarillo/Simcoe - dryhop 10days.

I used Wyeast 1332, the aroma is magnificent. Slight rasin and plum from the yeast with a massive hoppy nose. Finished at a 1.010fg so it'll be dry.

Some more thoughts...Heck..this might be my next brew...

add a couple pounds of munich for some malty sweet goodness..will help with the copper color as well

use an american ale yeast such as 1272 that's not as attenuative..gives more body and leaves some sweetness

Back