Simcoe/Citra IPA - Recipe Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm finally ready to make up a recipe...at least I think I am. I want to keep the grain bill simple and let the Simcoe and Citra shine. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Estimated stats:
OG: 1.078
FG: 1.022
SRM: 7.89
IBU: 68.4
ABV: 7.4%
Efficiency 60% (going conservative because I keep coming out low)

Malt Bill
  • 16lb Maris Otter Pale
  • 1lb Carapils
  • 1lb Dextrose (to help dry it out)

Hop Schedule
  • FWH - 1oz Simcoe FWH
  • 30 min - .25oz Simcoe
  • 15 min - 1oz Simcoe
  • 5 min - 1oz Simcoe , 1oz Citra
  • 0 min - .5oz Simcoe, 1.5 oz Citra
  • Dry Hop - 1oz Simcoe, 2oz Citra

Brew Guidelines
Use 1.25 qt/lb for initial mash. Heat water to 169.4F for a 153F mash temp for 90 min. Fly sparge until I collect 7.75 gal. 1 hour boil. Aerate the hell out of it with my drill. Pitch 2 packs of US-05. Put brew bucket into my 30gal Brute and add water with a couple ice packs (my Ghetto way to keep it cool!). Pray...

good start. thats more a double IPA with that SG.
id drop some lbs of malt
also would go 1/2 maris otter and 1/2 american 2-row or pils. that much MO can overpower the hops or just be too malty for an IPA. unless u like malty IPAs.
you want your FG much lower than 1.022. i like mine in the 1.010 - 1.012 range, mash around 149-152.

Id throw a 60 minute addition of .75-1oz to balance something that boozey/malty. i find FWH contributes more on the flavor/aroma and not much hop bitterness.

Thanks! I threw 1/2 oz of Magnum in at 60min and also used a cascade addition at 5 min. My efficiency was terrible at just 48%, so despite the heavy grain bill, I'm just at SG 1.062 :(. Does that still qualify as a double IPA?

Back