SimCade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upheaval

Reaction score
Hey guys... I've been struggling with my IPA's lately. Flavor wise they're great, just seem to taste more like a really good APA instead of an IPA. What are your guys' thoughts on this recipe?

OG 1.060 IBU's 77 ABV 5.9 Color 8

10.5 2-Row
.5 Munich 10L
.5 Carafoam

1.25 oz Simcoe FWH
.5 oz Cascade 20 min
.5 oz Cascade 15 min
.5 oz Cascade 10 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min
2.0 oz Cascade 0 min

American Ale yeast.

Updated...

Save the cascade for late, whirlpool, and dry hop additions. Use something like Magnum, Warrior, Columbus for bittering.

Add more flame out hops and a nice big dry hop. I would add 2-3oz at flame out and another 3-4 to dry hop, at least.

Thanks for the input Dobe...I should have indicated I'm using the hops I have on hand. I've updated the recipe though. I plan on Dry Hopping as well, just didn't see it important to add it into my build at the moment.

I would cut the FWH down to a half ounce at most and add the rest of the simcoe at flameout. Let those flameout hops steep for around 30 minutes. Try to get most of your IBU from all those late additions. Then be sure to dry hop with 4 oz or so to really get a good aroma. A little gypsum would probably help too.

What would be the benefit of adding more in the late additions rather than a healthy portion in the beginning?

What would be the benefit of adding more in the late additions rather than a healthy portion in the beginning?

The healthy portion in the beginning will just add hop bitterness and not hop flavor and aroma. It's that flavor and aroma that can make a good IPA a great IPA.

Thanks WayFrae! So gaining IBU's late in the boil will still add bitterness too correct? Cause I feel like thats where my IPA's have been lacking. I normally lean towards fruitier hops but I still like that hint of Pine.

Good advice above. If at all possible, get something else to bitter with at 60min. Magnum, Warrior, Columbus, etc. are good choices. Then use all that Simcoe at flameout. It's a great flavor/aroma hop and adding it at flameout will give you the best bang for your buck in the kettle. I'd also let the flameout addition steep for a while (I usually give it 15-20min), and dry hop with at least 3 ounces.

Just my two cents. Cheers and enjoy the brew.

Thanks WayFrae! So gaining IBU's late in the boil will still add bitterness too correct? Cause I feel like thats where my IPA's have been lacking. I normally lean towards fruitier hops but I still like that hint of Pine.

Yes it will still add bitterness but will also contribute more flavor and aroma. If you did this:

.5 oz Simcoe FWH
.5 oz Cascade 20 min
.5 oz Cascade 15 min
.5 oz Cascade 10 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min
2.0 oz Cascade 0 min (Steep for 30 min)
.75 Simcoe (Steep for 30 min)

Your calculated IBU is 72 according to Beersmith which should be plenty bitter for a 1.060 beer, in my opinion.

EDIT: I forgot to add, if your brewing water has higher chloride than sulfate you will perceive the malt more than the hops. Adding some gypsum should help bring out the hops a little more.

Back