Silver City Brewery Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azgolfer

Reaction score
Hello from Arizona. I was having trouble finding a clone recipe for Silver City Brewery. I was looking to see if anyone has tried to make their Fat Scotch Ale. If anyone has I would like to hear how it went and any advice for creating my own, as it is not sold in stores here. Thank you in advance.

After some looking around I found they have quite a bit of information on their website. For both beer they list the ingredients and videos on how they are made.

RidgeTop Red and Fat Scotch Ale

I am still interested to hear if anyone has ever experimented with these, as I will be trying to emulate them. Both are in my top 5 but are not sold in stores here in Arizona.

Fat Scotch has been one of my favs for some time now. Any luck coming up with a recipe? The links to the videos don't seem to work anymore.

Thanks, I've got all that but was hoping for a little more detail, especially how to get the sweetness.

There are many variables for sweetness, mash temperature and yeast strand
being the biggest two. I went on a tour up there this summer and I was told that all ale yeasts use a british strand. Hope this helps.

Fat Scotch has been one of my favs for some time now. Any luck coming up with a recipe? The links to the videos don't seem to work anymore.

Here is what I have came up with so far, be in mind it's a working progress:
3 Gallons

Yeast: 1.0 pkg Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)

Grain Bill:
 9 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
.5 lbs Black (Patent) Malt
.5 lbs Peat Smoked Malt

Mash:
155.0 F @60 min

Hops:
0.50 oz Cascade @ 60.0 min
0.30 oz Nugget @ 60.0 min

I will switch the yeast next time, Probably S04 or Windsor. I just bottles this one about a month ago, cracked one open last week and it turned out pretty good. Also note my grain bill is set up for a 55% effiecincy rating.

I made 2 versions of a fat scotch last year and the one that came out the closest I took the first gallon of runnings and boiled them down by probably about half. I will post the recipie I used if I can find the notes on it in my garage

I found the extract version I wrote for my brother, no luck with the all grain version yet my organizational skills are a tad lacking

10lbs light dme
2.5lbs c60
2oz roast barley
1lb smoke malt
2lbs light dme boiled with 3 quarts water in a seperate pot till reduced by atleast half. Make sure to use ferm cap as this will boil up like crazy. I add the reduction at flame out
1oz chinook at 60min
Ferment at 65 with wyeast 1728

I was refering to the reduction mixture boiling up, I actually have no big blow off issues with 1728 but I also ferment rather cool. I have never used the white labs Edinburg just wyeast because my lhbs exclusively carries wyeast.

Back