silly question about whirlfloc tablet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
I understand these tablets are for clarifying and generally combine with protiens and pull them to the bottom. However, when transferring to fermenter, can I still pour it all in OR do I do it carefully to avoind anything that fell to the bottom? Also, doesn't Irish moss do the same thing?

There seems to be a split decision on dumping everything in the fermenter or carefully siphoning around it. The Brewing Network did a segment where beers made using both techniques were judged and there was no clear winner. Try both and see what you think.
Irish moss does work in a similar fashion but in my experience, Whirlfloc is far more effective.

You can pour it all in, the whirlfloc tablets themselves are simply algae and seaweed products and they should not leave any flavor in your beer.

None of my Kit instructions ever said anything about NOT having whirlfloc in the primary... I guess you could whirlpool and rack around it, or not give a rat's... :).

HOWEVER.

Just like a dead christmas tree at the bottom of a lake makes for great catfish spawning, I feel the same way about trub and microbe spawning... just MHO.

I do both without ill effects. For my system, I whirlpool and pump through a plate chiller, so I try and leave the sediment and hop matter behind for the sole purpose of not clogging up my plate chiller. When I help my buddy brew on my old system, we use an immersion chiller and dump the whole thing into the fermenter. After fermentation and a few weeks bottle conditioning, all his beers have been pretty clear.

I whirlpool in the ice bath. Then pour it through a fine mesh strainer into primary, leaving the gunk slurry behind. Less trub & yeast compacted on the bottom come bottling day means more clear beer to bottle. Typically 53-56 bottles.

Thanks everyone.I think i will keep pouring the whole thing in and see what happens.

Back