Silly Irish Moss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradzukie

Reaction score
This may be a silly question to some, but in past batches I have been just putting the irish moss in as it comes out of the container. Should I grind it before putting it in? Or does it matter either way? Just started my mash so hopefully you folks will help me out before I get to that point! Thanks in advance!

The few times I've used it I just put the flakes right in from the bottle. Although I still have the same bottle I bought on my 2nd batch...4 years ago. If you let the yeast do the work you should be able to make crystal clear beer without irish moss.

I let it rehydrate in some room temp water for 10mins or so before I add it in, when I brewed at a local brewpub the head brewer told me it works better that, similar to rehydrating yeast although different principles i guess. Anyway Ive stuck with that ever since.

Thanks for all the good advise. Ill just chuck it in. Its due in 28 minutes! Ill try the hydrating next batch as it will be a more experimental one.

Latest posts

Back