Silly fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaisonMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The question is silly, not the fermenter. I was chilling my wort yesterday and sanitizing my new conical when I noticed StarSan leaking from the FV. Couldn't figure out why it was leaking, and after about a half hour of trying, I finally put the wort in a plastic fermenter and dumped in the yeast. I solved the leak today, looked at my shiny conical and wondered ... I think you know what I wondered. Could I make a transfer a day or two into fermentation without much risk to the wort? Is it worth it? Or does someone need to save me from myself?

I whirlpooled 3 ounces of hops at flameout yesterday. I’m wondering if the intended effect would be negatively affected if I transferred.

Aside from also being additional work, we know there are potential issues (mainly oxidation) by transferring. Is there any potential benefit? Or is it just a matter of the conical being pretty and expensive so you want to use it?

*I don't mean any offense by the question. It's human nature and I'm sure I'd feel the same urge, if I had a conical.

The potential of oxidation alone makes that very risky to your finished beer. However if you can do a closed system transfer to a well sanitized and purged fermenter your risk would be minimal. I would purge the lines and fermenter very well first.

Aside from also being additional work, we know there are potential issues (mainly oxidation) by transferring. Is there any potential benefit? Or is it just a matter of the conical being pretty and expensive so you want to use it?

*I don't mean any offense by the question. It's human nature and I'm sure I'd feel the same urge, if I had a conical.
No offense taken. And, yes, because it's a new toy, I hear it calling to me. But I'm going to ignore it and stick with the plastic bucket. As you and others have pointed out, it's not worth the risk.

The beer isn't finished. It was pitched two days ago. Probably high krausen? If you're going to shift vessels, this is the time to do it.

I still wouldn't bother. No upside, no downside. Just no reason to fix what isn't broken.

Fill the shiny new with fresh wort.

I wouldn't transfer. I would not only leave it in the bucket, but I would place the bucket in front of the new conical so it can see what happens when you cooperate. Maybe this will give it time to think about its actions before leaking again. Remember, don't yell at it or hit it. Re-homing brewing equipment is hard on everyone involved. Just give it more time to acclimate and socialize. We'll see if the obedience improves next brew day.

I wouldn't transfer. I would not only leave it in the bucket, but I would place the bucket in front of the new conical so it can see what happens when you cooperate. Maybe this will give it time to think about its actions before leaking again. Remember, don't yell at it or hit it. Re-homing brewing equipment is hard on everyone involved. Just give it more time to acclimate and socialize. We'll see if the obedience improves next brew day.

I think you’re onto something here. An upside down conical looks a bit like a dunce cap. Whatever it takes.

Back