Silicone/Thermo Tubing local source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
I am looking for a local (HD,Lowes, etc) source for some tubing to transfer my hot wort through my CFC.

I checked my LHBS (lame a** that is only open 9-5) but they didn't have anything.

Is there something that I can use that is safe? ( until my AHB order comes in next week)..

A cheap short term solution is braid reinforced PVC tubing at Lowes or Depot. It will degrade pretty quickly after a few uses but it's been done before. The thermoplastic or silicone is the long term solution.

A cheap short term solution is braid reinforced PVC tubing at Lowes or Depot. It will degrade pretty quickly after a few uses but it's been done before. The thermoplastic or silicone is the long term solution.

I'm still using the braid reinforced tubing I picked up at HD. It is getting to the end of its life time though, when it gets hot the weight is causing it to crimp right at the disconnects. I've taken to use buckets and coolers to support the tubing so it doesn't crimp down at all, but its a pain. I'm going to order some silicone or thermo tubing soon. Is it the silicone that is slightly transparent? I like to be able to confirm the flow visually

The color of the silicone shouldn't matter. There are silicones that are transparent, translucent and opaque, it just depends on the purity and pigmentation. I would be leery of using PVC tubing.

In my experience you won't find quality food grade hose at any all purpose hardware store. For this stuff you have to find a supplier who deals in hoses.

I'm willing to bet that you have all the tools you need to find said supplier in your area at your fingertips; a phone and a phone book. Alternatively, a phone and Google. It's unlikely that anyone on this forum is going to miraculously popup with an answer, so go find the answer for yourself. Louisville is a city of at least a quarter million people; surely there are a few hose suppliers around.

When I needed high-temp silicone hose in Tucson I started off by calling several industrial hose suppliers. From every outfit that didn't have what I needed I requested a recommendation for another shop to try. 4 or 5 calls into it I was put in touch with a hose supplier in town who deals with industrial, medical, and food grade hoses and sold me 3/8 inch ID food grade high-temp silicon hose for under 2 dollars a foot. They had it in stock and had it ready for me the same day.

Good luck!

Or you can order it from austinhomebrew or morebeer for just over $2 a foot for 1/2" ID semi-opaque silicone tubing. I got mine from usplastic.com but it was only cheaper during a free shipping promotion.

Back