Silicone pick up tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaw

Reaction score
I was thinking of using silicone tubing for a pick up tube. Due to the flexible nature I thought it would be very useful however I don't see many being used here. the tubing should be able to withstand the boiling temperature. Just curious as to why more people do not use them. thanks

I use one in my HLT, never had a problem there! I have a pickup setup for whirlpool in my BK otherwise I may consider one there too.

Kosch said:
I use one in my HLT, never had a problem there! I have a pickup setup for whirlpool in my BK otherwise I may consider one there too.

Just curious. Why the need for one in your HLT?

Bobby_M said:
Why the need? Why leave liquid behind when you don't have to?

A reason not to use silicone is because it's floppy and doesn't necessarily stay where you want it.

Forgive my ignorance. I have not done a true all grain brew yet but I thought the HLT was just water to sparge with. What is there to waste?

I use a pick-up tube in my HLT also. If I put 5.5 gallons of sparge water in there, I want to get the 5.5 gallons out. I don't want to leave a 1/2 gallon of water in the HLT to dump in the flower bed.

I recently dumped all of my vinyl tubing in favor of silicone, and couldn't be happier.

I HATED the "memory" that the old tubing had. To me, the flexibility is a massive plus.

The fact that I can boil it, if need be? Yes, please.

It's quite a bit more expensive, but well worth it to me.

Does a short amount of silicone like that float? Will the rising heat and bubbles combined with the floatation of the silicone make it not sit on the bottom?

As for the people saying why bother having something like this in your HLT...Why waste the time and gas/electricity heating up more water than you need due to a correctable inefficiency? Plus if you are doing water chemistry additions than you are just wasting money and salts/minerals!

conneryis007 said:
Does a short amount of silicone like that float? Will the rising heat and bubbles combined with the floatation of the silicone make it not sit on the bottom?

As for the people saying why bother having something like this in your HLT...Why waste the time and gas/electricity heating up more water than you need due to a correctable inefficiency? Plus if you are doing water chemistry additions than you are just wasting money and salts/minerals!

I wasn't saying "why bother" I was asking a legit question.
Thanks for the replies to those who did.

Back