Silicon Tubing and Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTK

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After my last brew session, I decided to store my silicone high temp tubing in a bucket of Star San. Upon taking them out for my next brew, they all had a chalky film coating them. I scrubbed them best I could and re-sanitized and continued on with my brew day. There doesn't seem to be any ill effects on the beer, but I'm curious if anyone has had this problem, or knows what caused it.

thanks
jay

I find when making up Star San with even slightly hard water, it turns cloudy immediately. Then the parts that have sat in it get a slick feel (even if only soaked for a few minutes). I don't know, but maybe that's what gave your tubing the chalky film.

Why store anything in Starsan, it works in a minute or so. Clean well, store, rinse off any dust, then sanitize just before use.

Things that I have left in Starsan for a while will rinse off with a couple minutes in the sink.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave anything sitting in Star San for long.
Eventually the phosphoric acid is going to do something and it probably won't be for the better...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info...I'm replacing the hoses and dry store them between brew sessions, and soak them the day of..

Jay

Latest posts

Back