Quantcast

Silicon Tubing and Star San

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JTK

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After my last brew session, I decided to store my silicone high temp tubing in a bucket of Star San. Upon taking them out for my next brew, they all had a chalky film coating them. I scrubbed them best I could and re-sanitized and continued on with my brew day. There doesn't seem to be any ill effects on the beer, but I'm curious if anyone has had this problem, or knows what caused it.

thanks
jay

ncbrewer

Reaction score
I find when making up Star San with even slightly hard water, it turns cloudy immediately. Then the parts that have sat in it get a slick feel (even if only soaked for a few minutes). I don't know, but maybe that's what gave your tubing the chalky film.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why store anything in Starsan, it works in a minute or so. Clean well, store, rinse off any dust, then sanitize just before use.

Things that I have left in Starsan for a while will rinse off with a couple minutes in the sink.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed a chalky-like coating on silicone tubing after a couple months submerged in my CO2 Harvester. I don't think it hurts the tubing, didn't notice any cracks or holes. Just looks funny.

day_trippr

Bastard-covered bastard with bastard filling
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to leave anything sitting in Star San for long.
Eventually the phosphoric acid is going to do something and it probably won't be for the better...

Cheers!

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Don't do that. Silicone doesn't get damaged by being exposed to acids for short periods of time but it will break down and make the silicone extremely brittle given enough time. I've tested a 3-week soak in slightly stronger solution and was able to snap tubing in half by hand.

OP
J

JTK

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...I'm replacing the hoses and dry store them between brew sessions, and soak them the day of..

Jay