silicon collapsible funnels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas8977

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to brewing and all the kind. I started my first batch of cider and I went to the big box stores to get a funnel to help in putting apple juice in the carboy. I seen the silicon collapsible funnels. I thought for a minute about them being safe. Then I thought, they use silicon for practically everything in cooking and baking. I bought them, washed them thoroughly and sanitized in star San and used them. Did I do the right thing??

If you really found a silicon funnel, you should NOT use it. Silicon metal is brittle and not ideal as a food-grade material.

What you probably meant, though, is silicone, with an E at the end. In that case you're fine. Silicone is great stuff for many food purposes.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes its a silicone funnel. Forgot the "e". And the recipe called for apple juice And this is my very first brew, so I figured to go by the directions first and tweak later.

Back