Signs of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRobb2

Reaction score
My beer is now in its third day in my fermentation bucket. What are some of the signs that the beer is fermenting properly. I have it in a white bottling bucket so I cant see inside. All I can see is the airlock and I have notice that the liquid inside was level on the two sides and now it is higher on one side than the other. Is that a sign of fermentation?

if you're really concerned (or curious) you can open the bucket a bit and peak inside. you may see a krausen forming (head on the top)

if your bucket is sealed tightly, however, and you have fermentation, you SHOULD see the airlock bubbling.

If it's an S-Type airlock, then the fact the liquid is higher on one side is indicative that something is going on. However, you should be seeing some bubbling.

It's possible that fermentation is not going strong yet (it can take 3-4 days if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a starter)

Or, something that commonly happens with buckets, is that the lid doesn't seal tightly and the CO2 escapes out the lid.

I'd wait another day or so. If nothing changes, open up the lid and look for indications of fermentation. Dried residue on the sides of the bucket. You can take a hydrometer sample then and see if anything changed.

You've now learned one of the main benefits of the carboy (besides ease of sanitation, and the lack of oxygen permeability).

This link should give you an idea of what your airlock should look like:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is an S-Type Airlock. I dont see any bubbling.

The bucket is sealed very tightly and taking it off would be disrupting the wort because it I have to pull really hard to take it off.

Should I be concerned? If you read my other thread you will know my issues on brew day and how I thought I had killed my yeast. Could that be the case?

Here's a question that follows this line of thinking...since i didnt want to waste a new thread:

How do you know fermentation took place if you weren't there? The advice here is solid for determining fermentation during the process. I ferment my beer at my parents house since my apartment is always hot. I brewed the beer and then left for a week. I want to make sure fermentation happened while i was gone, but if the krausen rose and fell and the airlock activity has finished, how would I know?

short of opening it up and seeing krausen marks on the sides, my buckets are a mother to open and i dont want to shake it up opening it.

Well, I have notice that the liquid in the airlock is now almost fully pushed to the exit side of the S. I have notice that it their is condensation on the empty side of the airlock like its humid in there. Does that sound right?

OblivionsGate said:
Here's a question that follows this line of thinking...since i didnt want to waste a new thread:

How do you know fermentation took place if you weren't there? The advice here is solid for determining fermentation during the process. I ferment my beer at my parents house since my apartment is always hot. I brewed the beer and then left for a week. I want to make sure fermentation happened while i was gone, but if the krausen rose and fell and the airlock activity has finished, how would I know?

short of opening it up and seeing krausen marks on the sides, my buckets are a mother to open and i dont want to shake it up opening it.
you have to open it. the only way to tell fermentation happened is by looking inside. the only absolutely sure way is to take an hydrometer reading. and drink it :D

get a bucket that works or buy a carboy/better bottle. and don't worry to much about it swirling a little bit. you just don't want tons of splashing

Here's a good way to help determine if your bucket lid is sealed properly. Try pressing gently on the lid with your hand. If the airlock bubbles, then your seal is fine.

Oh, also release your hand gently too, to avoid sucking the liquid from the lock into your beer.

On my first brew I pitched my yeast too early(the wort was 80+ degrees) and because of this it took days longer to get going.

I would be patient. If you are really impatient like me go buy a Carboy and ingredients and start another batch. This will take your mind off of it. :)

DeathBrewer said:
or just use vodka in your airlock. then suck back isn't a problem...sterile and alcoholic, no bad flavors in small quantities :)

I used Rum.

If I push on my lid the liquid in the airlock pushes further towards the exit. That tells me it is nice and tight in there.

Back