Sight Glass...which is the best deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I definitely need to buy one. Who's got the best deal? Northernbrewer and iHomeBrewSolutions both have decent looking models. Any reviews / thoughts?

If you are set on buying one i would go with the Northernbrewer deal because you can add a thermometer to it if you want. if you are putting it on a HLT it is really handy to have the thermometer, expecially if your set up is like mine where your HLT is elevated up where it is inconvienent to drop one in the top.

But you can also pick up the parts to make on at any hardware supply, i think that i put mine together for about 10 buck with the thermowell, basically I used the northerbrewer design. But i also had a broken 3/8 in racking cane to use for the sight glass, so i didn't have to buy that part, or the thermometer.

Cheers

I guess it depends on whether or not you already have a bulkhead at the bottom of the vessel or if you need to drill one. I just had elbows welded in to my sanke vessels for the single purpose of sight glass... I have stainless compression fittings that will thread in and I'll use either the 12mm borosilicate glass tubes I found on Ebay or 1/2" polycarb racking canes. Still debating which.

I have thermosights from Northernbrewer on my HLT and MLT, so I can also use digital probe thermos. I love them, and I thought it was a fair price at $21 ea. I did change how they seal in the compression fitting, though.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28815

thermo3.JPG

inside_mlt.JPG

beautiful%20twins.JPG

It allows you to guage externally how much water/liquid is in the vessel. I use them to measure strike and sparge water volumes as I fill the HLT and MLT with a hose. Others also like them on their kettle so they can know precisely what their pre- and post-boil volumes are for efficiency calculations.

It's just a clear or semi-opaque column that runs outside of your vessel to indicate the level of fluid inside. It's connected to the inside of the vessle via a bulkhead at the bottom.

Does anyone have problems with the smaller sightglass bulkheads (1/4" or 3/8") regarding clogs. I just wonder if I need to integrate some kind of coarse screen for the MLT and BK or not.

I think I can make one on the cheap, I just need to source some tubing. Wonder if I can just use some clear hose.

Cheesefood said:
I think I can make one on the cheap, I just need to source some tubing. Wonder if I can just use some clear hose.
They wouldn't be hard to make. You should be able to find some of that plastic tubing somewhere. It's the same OD, but slightly thicker, as a racking cane. ;) I don't think I'd try to use clear silicon-type hose. It gets really flimsy when it gets hot.

I'm putting heavy walled borosilicate glass in mine. I've got a line out to source small quantities but even if I have to buy a mess load, I know you guys will buy them off me. The thinwall stuff is easy to come by but it's only 1mm thick walls. Not cool with me. The one I'm looking for is 2.2mm thick walled and I doubt it will break unless I smash it with a hammer. I don't like the idea of polycarbonate because it get way too hot around my keggle.

I'm using two 10 gallon beverage coolers for MLT and HLT and was concerned about heat loss. Anyone have a take on heat loss from a sight glass on a beverage cooler being used a HLT (non-heated)? Is there an advantage to having a glass on your MLT? Clogging and heat loss were my only concerns.

Bobby_M said:
I'm putting heavy walled borosilicate glass in mine. I'm got a line out to source small quantities but even if I have to buy a mess load, I know you guys will buy them off me. The thinwall stuff is easy to come buy but it's only 1mm thick walls. Not cool with me. The one I'm looking for is 2.2mm thick walled and I doubt it will break unless I smash it with a hammer. I don't like the idea of polycarbonate because it get way too hot around my keggle.

When are you buying them? I'll take 1.

If I can get small quantities, I'll just pass on the source. At the very least I know I have to buy whole lengths which are 60". I'm probably going to cut them to 18" long so I can get three pieces from one length. I want four for myself, one on each vessel plus a spare. I should have two left over at least. I'll be getting them asap. Hang in there until tomorrow, we'll see who I can get in touch with.

mattreba said:
I'm using two 10 gallon beverage coolers for MLT and HLT and was concerned about heat loss. Anyone have a take on heat loss from a sight glass on a beverage cooler being used a HLT (non-heated)? Is there an advantage to having a glass on your MLT? Clogging and heat loss were my only concerns.
I don't think there would be any appreciable heat loss. The liquid's not flowing.

If you're using a cooler MLT, I'm not sure you would see any benefit from having a sight glass installed. I direct fire my MLT and heat the strike water in place. Being able to measure while I fill from a hose is nice. Same goes for the sparge water in the HLT.

Back