Sight glass trimming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Glass or polycarbonate?

Polycarbonate cuts easily with just about any saw. Power chop or miter saw is nice and clean but support it from underneath and behind with scrap wood. Wear eye protection. You can also use a hacksaw. Clean it up with sandpaper.

OP
Simphoto02

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Polycarbonate ones from Bargain Fittings.

Thanks I have some real fine tooth saws that will work great. that is what I was thinking but wanted some experienced info first.

k1v1116

Reaction score
Just in case anyone with glass/borosilicate sight tubes reads this, a tile saw will cut them but you should really have some kind of diamond abrasive tool to clean up the edges.

jkarp

Reaction score
I used a regular copper pipe cutter on mine from Bargain Fittings. Worked great.

Whiskey

Reaction score
Copper tubing cutter cleaned up with a dremel cut off and polishing wheel. I think mine is made of plexi though.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Acrylic would be a touch more brittle than polycarbonate so finer tooth the better. I can cut poly with a crappy old combo blade that came on my Ryobi miter saw and it barely requires any cleanup. Don't go super slow or you'll melt.

Copper tubing cutter is another good idea.

Reaction score
I've cut the glass ones by scoring the circumfrence with a Dremel grinding wheel, wrapping it in a towel and then just snapping it. It's worked great serveral times for me. Then I just use a fine stone in the Dremel to buff the edges.

Latest posts