Sight glass on an anvil foundry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonjee88

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully added a sight glass to the anvil foundry? It's double walled. The way I boil is a bit different and I need to track my volume in a better way the the internal markings.

I know brew hardware has extended bulkheads. Maybe just a 7/8 hole saw with an extension?

I'm interested in doing this too. Trying to guess volumes with the malt pipe is driving me nuts.

I see they have this one. Maybe combine that with the extended bulkheads?
Weldless Flex Sightglass (brewhardware.com)
Yes, I reached out to them and Bobby said that would likely work. I think the trickiest part is making sure to have the right sized bit that's constructed in a way that allows it to pass through the outer hole to drill through the inner wall.

You can make one like so with a nipple

20211227_115906.jpg

I emailed brewhardware and asked about their Site Glass on an Anvil Foundry. Their reply was -

"I haven't figured out a solution for a foundry yet."

I'll elaborate here. The elbow on the flex product has an oring groove machined right at the entrance of the 1/4" NPT threads. That is meant to sit flush with the outside of the kettle wall. In the Foundry, that would have to be on the inside tank wall and the elbow doesn't have the depth. It would bang into the outer jacket.

I just made this thing up and it's pretty close to how I would design a product but the half coupling would have an oring groove. As it's sits right now with the gasket against the internal bushing, you would need teflon tape on the threads to seal between the bushing and the elbow.
1640725935484.png

This would need a 3/4" hole in the outside jacket and 1/2 on the inside tank (perfectly lined up/centered of course).

@Ozarks_Mountain_Brew the Anvil Foundary is double-walled. While your solution would work for a standard kettle there would need to be a specific solution for the Anvil Foundry so that the weldless fittings can seal against the inside wall while passing through the outside one. Hence Bobby's work on a solution.

This would need a 3/4" hole in the outside jacket and 1/2 on the inside tank (perfectly lined up/centered of course).

Yeah, I would have to use a 1/2" bit through both walls, then bore the outer hole out to 3/4". That's not a problem for me.

PS: @Bobby_M I'm the one who emailed you recently about the BIAB false bottom for the Foundry 6.5gal. Just to connect the dots 🤓

Back