Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Im sure a few of you bought these...what do you think?

I bought it mostly to try a couple of names that are hard to find here, like Russian River, 3 Floyds and Cigar city. So far have only had the Victory Pilsner, its fantastic.

Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....

I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.

Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The best beer I've ever brewed was an IPL, and I like this one as well. Sudwerx (sp?) up in OR makes a great one called Cascade. I think that style is blowing up tbh. The clean flavor of a lager malt profiles the hops even more....

I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.

What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

I had the Altbier last night. Damn, that was tasty. Too strong for traditional alt, but very tasty.

I thought a lot of the beers were really good. My favorite was probably the Alt so far.
I'm aging a few of them and I haven't drank the pale lager or the scotch ale yet.
That being said, I probably won't buy it again. It was freakin $20 in my neck of the woods. :(

To the guy that said Bell's is a joke...LOL. :drunk:

What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Which beers are fantastic?

Let me guess.

Two hearted
Hopslam
Kzoo stout
Oberon

Two hearted is their best beer, but it's still not very good compared to it's peers.

Perhaps bells isnt a joke, but they are easily the most overhyped brewery in the country...and most of their "shelf beers" (amber, pale ale, porter, oberon) are in fact a joke.

Hopslam is just a mess BTW.

Perhaps bells isnt a joke, but they are easily the most overhyped brewery in the country...and most of their "shelf beers" (amber, pale ale, porter, oberon) are in fact a joke.

Hopslam is just a mess BTW.

Out of all the "shelf beers" (whatever that means), the pale ale is the only one that comes to mind as sub-par.

As far as hopslam goes, maybe you should enlighten the folks over at beer advocate, or hell, just run the site for them, as they've obviously fell for the hype.

I was able to find a box, pretty excited about it regardless of the money. Heck it was $1.75 per beer, cheaper than any taproom or restaurant I go to.

I started with Myron's Walk, a Belgian Pale Ale. It gets better the warmer it gets. Great Coriander flavor, not overpowering. I would drink this again if I could.

Second one was Tater Ridge, a Scottish ale with sweet potatoes. Again is better as it warms, but something about it is very heavy on the tongue. It is a well made beer, just not my style.

👀❤️🍺

Just bought this yesterday. Was gonna buy 2 due to the rarity but thought better after paying 26$ for it.

I was able to find a box, pretty excited about it regardless of the money. Heck it was $1.75 per beer, cheaper than any taproom or restaurant I go to.

I started with Myron's Walk, a Belgian Pale Ale. It gets better the warmer it gets. Great Coriander flavor, not overpowering. I would drink this again if I could.

Second one was Tater Ridge, a Scottish ale with sweet potatoes. Again is better as it warms, but something about it is very heavy on the tongue. It is a well made beer, just not my style.

👀❤️🍺

I noticed that with the pilsner, actuallt tasted better the warmer it got.

So far, my rankings:

Myron's Walk
Double Latte
Tater Ridge

Didn't really get much sweet potato on the last one though.

I just cracked open the Torpedo Pilsner made with Firestone Walker. This is a great beer. Crisp pils finish with a fruity hop forward taste. I wish I could buy a sixer of this one!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406418014.317623.jpg

👀❤️🍺

Into the Rye Bock now, made with Oskar Blues here in CO. This is one of the two canned offerings in the pack. Another solid offering. Almost sweet tasting, citrus hops, and a definite peppery rye bite. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406419573.717374.jpg

👀❤️🍺

I had the There and Back ESB with New Glarus and the Chico King with 3 Floyds tonight. Both were a miss for me, but the Chico was slightly better. I LOVE New Glarus beers and would have loved to see them do something with fruit in this collaboration.

👀❤️🍺

I'm a bit jealous I can't get this in OKC our alcohol laws are retarded. I was really excited for this 12 pack then i called around looking for it & it's not available in OK WTF!? You can get Sierra Nevada all over the place i don't get it:mad:

They apparently only did one bottling run for this release.
Anyone who buys a 12 pack of this today will likely be tasting the hoppy beers 3-4 months after packaging. :(

The Rye Bock, Imperial Dark Red, and Sweet Potato Scotch ales are my favorite. Absolutely fantastic. I wish I could buy cases of just these 3. I enjoyed every beer in the 12 pack though.. all of them are great. I love the Beer Camp series.

to answer an earlier question there was yeast in my New Glarus/English Bitter. Solid beer.

Pils is my favorite so far. Made me wish again that Pivo Pils was distributed here.

Alt was very good. if it had been closer to 40 IBU it might be on top of the list.

The Russian River Belgian wasn't my favorite but there wasn't anything "wrong" with it. Would have liked a little lower yeast profile or a little more ester/little less phenol, and a little more carbonation.

Liked the Allagash BPA though as it warmed I got quite a bit of spice-based astringency/warming. Liked the base beer a lot; not a level of Coriander I like.

Dang!! That's what I thought after I poured it. It was the reason why I wondered if any one else knew of others before I ruined another chance.

^v^

Appreciate the thread - I'm gonna check around to see if this is available in south central PA. I love variety packs personally. I haven't bought one in quite a while though, which I view as a good thing (homebrew!).

Also, it looks like somebody in this thread successfully aced their beer snobbery exam! :D :mug:

*Edit - looks like I can get it locally - will definitely pick up

I got a case at CostCo for $40, but haven't taken the time to taste any. I'm looking forward to all of them though, based on the descriptions.

$24 .99 at our Safeway.
I thought it was a really solid mix. Everyone I had was good to really good. I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had the Alt Route tonight. That so far is my favorite from the pack. Smooth flavor, great body, loved everything about it.

👀❤️🍺

The alt was a very nice suprise. I thought the double latte might have been the best beer in there. The cigar city was very disappointing. Case was more then worth it though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew. Pn

I had the Alt Route tonight. That so far is my favorite from the pack. Smooth flavor, great body, loved everything about it.

��❤️��

Agreed on the Alt being excellent!! This was my favorite so far too.

So far I've tried the Yonder Bock, CANfusion Rye Bock, Alt Route, Myron's Walk Belgian-pale ale, and the Torpedo Pilsner.

The only one so far that wasn't great was the Torpedo. It wasn't bad, just, I don't know, a little off.

For me anyways. YMMV.

I can say so far I'm glad I bought this sampler but I don't see me buying it again.

Back