Sierra Nevada Torpedo Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
I received my Torpedo Clone Partial Mash kit from AHS yesterday and was surprised to find that it does not use Citra hops. From my understanding that is sort of the signature hop for the beer. Instead it has Magnum, Crystal and Amarillo (for dryhop).
Any thoughts on this? I'm going to go by the LHBS on Saturday before I brew to see if they have any Citra, and if they do I will probably replace the Amarillo with it...does this seem like a good idea/ is amarillo a decent sub for Citra (I know they both have pretty strong citrus characteristics)?

Thanks for the thoughts...

Sounds like a good idea and it also sounds like you are not destined to be a kit buyer. I gave up on them when I bought an I2PA from More Beer and none of the hops were actually what Rogue used in the beer. It still made a fine beer but in my mind I was always a bit unsatisfied. I am sure AHS kit will be great as sent to you but saving the Amarillo for another beer is what I would do.

If you're going for a true Torpedo Clone I would really try for the Citra. It gives it the signature smell that is so unique.

On a side note, before Citra was widely available I read that people were pouring a Torpedo or two in the secondary to add the Citra aroma because they couldn't recreate it with any other hop variety.

Good luck!

that's interesting about pouring the beers in...just checked my LHBS store website, and it says they carry Citra, so hopefully I can score some this weekend.

I am a huge Citra fan and have used it in a few of my latest batches. It works great as a late addition or in a dry hop. My only problem with it was that I could only find it in whole leaf and I prefer pellets. But it is worth it for the unique factor! It is not very widely available from what I have found so it is great that your LHBS has some!

I wonder how long it will be before forrest finds this thread and puts in his 2 cents. I agree though, just make your own recipes, its more accurate and cheaper.

I'm afraid the term "clone" isn't as narrow as it once used to be. (Or maybe it never was.) Shame on them. An IPA is defined by its hop profile! If you're not at least matching the varietals, you should not advertise with a word so strong as 'clone'. It would upset me greatly if I ordered a Sierra PA clone to find it didn't feature Cascade hops up and down the river.

Not that it's wrong to package something that's in the ballpark, as long as you advertise the fact. It seems to me there should be another term for 'clone' brews which are rather blatantly imprecise, such as the above example.

Maybe 'Twin', as opposed to 'Clone'? Looks kinda the same, dresses kinda the same, has the same last name, but definitely has its own personality, its own soul.

I too would echo the Citra! The SN web site says:

alcohol content: 7.2% by volume
yeast: Ale Yeast
beginning gravity: 17.3 Plato
bittering hops: Magnum
ending gravity: 4.2 Plato
finishing hops: Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units: 65
dry hopping" Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

At any rate, Citra is a must, (IMHO), a reasonable dose of crystal malt(darker varieties), reasonably heavy late/finishing hopping, to simulate their using of the torpedo device, and the Chico yeast(wlp001, salfale US-05, Wyeast 1056).

I'm curious as to the malts and yeast in your kit. Do they match up with the SN description?

Rich

Yeah I had a Two Hearted "Clone" that had all Amarillo hops. When its supposed to be all Centennial. Still came out a good beer, but not really a clone.

The yeast is wyeast 1056 and the partial mash malt kit has 5lbs extra pale LME and 2lbs amber LME...grains are 3lbs pale ale malt and 11oz of crystal 60L.

So everything else seems to be following closely to the original...the other hops are magnum and crystal...i wonder if they were out of citra so they included amarillo as a hop with a similar citrus aroma as a replacement.

i'm not too worried about it, and hopefully i'll be able to pick up some citra this weekend, but if not i'll order some online cause it will be a couple weeks before i'm ready to dryhop anyway...

The yeast is wyeast 1056 and the partial mash malt kit has 5lbs extra pale LME and 2lbs amber LME...grains are 3lbs pale ale malt and 11oz of crystal 60L.

So everything else seems to be following closely to the original...the other hops are magnum and crystal...i wonder if they were out of citra so they included amarillo as a hop with a similar citrus aroma as a replacement.

i'm not too worried about it, and hopefully i'll be able to pick up some citra this weekend, but if not i'll order some online cause it will be a couple weeks before i'm ready to dryhop anyway...

I had originally thought SN had used citra in the flavoring hops, but their own web site indicates otherwise. Maybe that unique flavor I am detecting is the crystal hops? But it could also be the aroma of the citra affecting the perception of flavor (I'll have to hold my nose next bottle:mug:) Hope you can post back your impressions when yours is ready, whether you use the citra or not.

Yeah, my first time brewing was my first and last kit. It was supposed to be a SN PA clone, and while it was a delicious beer, it was not even close. It really made me distrust my LHBS's kits, and also spurred me into designing my own recipes (with Ray Daniels's help).

I'm not familiar with the Austin Home Brew Store as I have a LHBS I use, but many people on this forum seem to be happy with AHS. But do they call this beer a clone or do they state that it is inspired by Torpedo. The store I buy from doesn't really claim that their kits are clones, simply inspired by certain beers. For example Zozobra inspired by Dead Guy, 71st Street inspired by Boulevard Wheat.

But nevertheless, I agree that if you can get your hands on Citra use them.

Back